Advice on bigger knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Finnman

May 22, 2009
Finland
Not so sure of steel exactly, but Lauri makes it's blade. Same company make most of the finnish small puukkomakers blades who uses readymade factory blades, like Kellam for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Not so sure of steel exactly, but Lauri makes it's blade. Same company make most of the finnish small puukkomakers blades who uses readymade factory blades, like Kellam for example.

It is,I checked,looks like an awesome piece of kit

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
So how did this progress then?
Id recommend the condor varan or kamunga. Both are good blades.

I was was a small knife man, and indeed most of my go to blades tend to be around 4" or so. But sometimes you just need a bigger blade.

I find you can do most things you need to do with a bigger blade quite easily.

Andy

Finnman

May 22, 2009
Finland
That's true Andy. There isn't too many camp chores you need small knife if you don't do decorative carving stuff. Sure you can do all those with small knife, but big just makes it faster and less effort imho.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
So as a follow up, I'm looking at Sami knives, and a kukri! I'm swinging towards the kuk, but I'm not buying until payday so it stops me from getting both! (Which wouldn't be a bad thing!) anybody got experience with kukris?

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I think I like the kuk/Sami because some come with a small blade in the same sheath, two in one as it were! Is it worth getting one of those or just get a high quality big knife?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I had one made for me to my specs, used for chopping down small trees, splitting firewood and generally looking awesome hanging from my waist.
Check it out here.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125535

It saves me carrying an axe and allows me to do far more too.

If circa 3" of handle length of that knife could be put into blade length I'd buy one. The choice of laminated material and file work on the scales works very well.

K

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I think I'm going to make my own leuku (Sami) knife! Get a blank blade and fashion some sort of handle :) has anyone done this before?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I think I'm going to make my own leuku (Sami) knife! Get a blank blade and fashion some sort of handle :) has anyone done this before?

Yes, I think lots of people on here have done their own handles. The finnish website www.brisa.fi is your friend in this :)

I have done a few, you can see some pix in my flickr account, links in my signature.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I was also thinking I want to have a Turkish walnut knife handle! But how much grip would that give you? It's pretty but don't know how practical it is!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE