Advice on BCB 35l daysack, Snugpack Sleeka pack or German Mountain Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Hello all, I would love to hear what you think of my choices for my next pack

First up is this http://bcbadventure.com/shop/35-ltr-para-day-sack-multicam/

It's a bit pricey and it's in camouflage but the green or black ones are discontinued (unless someone has one squirreled away in a cupboard )

Then there's this http://www.heinnie.com/snugpak-sleeka-force-35

Even pricier!

Lastly there's http://www.endicotts.co.uk/content/german-gen-2-canvas-mountain-pack-dkolive

All your thoughts are appreciated

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Id go with the Snugpak, or mountain pack. Probably wax the mountain pack and use the spare cash on a larger pack.
Do like the Snugpsk though, better features, just twice the price. Cant choose :lmao:

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I've had a sleeka for over 5 years, use to be my day pack/ hunting bag. Its still going strong although its just used for work stuff these days. The only thing I found is that the waist strap is pointless if you're tall. I'm 6'1 and the strap doesn't sit on my hips unless the shoulder straps are looser than I like.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I've had a sleeka for over 5 years, use to be my day pack/ hunting bag. Its still going strong although its just used for work stuff these days. The only thing I found is that the waist strap is pointless if you're tall. I'm 6'1 and the strap doesn't sit on my hips unless the shoulder straps are looser than I like.

Think its designed to ride high, so you can have things on your actual belt. At least the Rocket pak is designed like that.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Also mountain pack appears to be wider opening of main section

also more space underneath for belt or waistpack or bedding strapped underneath

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Think its designed to ride high, so you can have things on your actual belt. At least the Rocket pak is designed like that.

That could be right, I just Find that the waist strap doesn't quite work for me in the way I would have liked. It's a solid pack though!

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
IIRC the Mountain Pack doesn't have straps on the bottom unlike the Sleeka which has the guides for webbing straps or the BCB which already has the straps in place. The Mountain Pack has D rings on the top to strap on a tarp or whatnot

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye UP Slasha9,

First up you don't state exactly what you will use the pack for - judging by the capacity (35l) I assume it is for day-pack use. That stated my day pack has to cater for unexpected over-nighters so I err above 35l.

Among others, I was using the German Alpine sack over a period of 12 months/3 days per week. IMHO It's a good tough ruck for 3 season day use but a tad too small for my stated uses year round.
The bag mouth is wide but the body narrows towards the bottom - purposely designed to keep most of the load higher up on the back.
The 'waist belt' isn't - it's a stability belt intended to stop the ruck swinging side to side! Consider -this is a military rucksack - designed for alpine troop reconnaissance (think ski-ing and climbing) intended to be quickly jettisoned if required and designed to be worn above a webbing equipment belt which would carry essentials such as water, food, ammunition etc, that is why the capacity is low.
The useful 'through' attachment of the side pouches (which are also quite restrictive - e.g. won't hold a '58 pattern water bottle) is designed for a short ski, and often an attractive lure to bushcrafters for axe stowage but the remainder of the pack is very basic and very limited in use. The side-lock buckle adjustment on the straps can be a real pain in the A until you are used to it!

Have a look at the British Northern Ireland pack - larger capacity (about 55l I think) and made in a very durable cordura, backed with a much more robust waterproof backing than the usual civvy based rucksacks. It is available in plain olive green if you don't mind a copy (mine is by Kombat) and not too pricey (check out Surplus and Outdoors Kidderminster). The side pouches are generous, there is molle around it and it has security closures on the pouches and the main compartment (not snow valances as some have suggested!). I could write more but you will get a good description on the site I've mentioned. My kit always has had (and still gets) a hammering day-in day-out and although I was a bit apprehensive about buying a copy item this one is proving well up to my job so bush crafting should be no prob.

:)

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I found that one on Ebay and pulled the trigger, so I will update the thread once it's been delivered (Monday hopefully)
After looking at the details of both the BCB and the Snugpak the BCB looks superior so I would be interested in hearing why you prefer the Snugpak ?

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Purely personal - the Snugpak shoulder straps are much more comfortable for me and my frame, and it just feels better put together. Probably also helps that Snugpak are "local" and I paid a lot less than the Heinnie price...!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE