Advice on an EDC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 19, 2017
Hampshire
I want to buy a new uk legal EDC for under £35. I would quite like a wooden handle and thumb stud on the blade (although both not essential)

I have been looking at getting the grizzly pocket buddy but I can't find the ones with the thumb stud anywhere.

Any good suggestions would be welcome-thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am afraid you will be disappointed unless you alter your criteria. The number of one handed opening UK legal EDC knives is limited, and when you narrow down to thumb studs rather than holes, divots and spine jimping, you have only a couple, and they are more than £35 and don't have wood handles.

I would think that you also want something that is well made and takes and holds a good edge. If so, you can have a Boker Techtool for under £35, but no wood unless you make them yourself, and not one-handed opening.

The list that TeeDee posted at Heinnie is pretty much the full range of stuff that you could choose from. If you can't see anything you like on there I doubt that you will get any better offers from folk here. £35 isn't a lot for a folding knife, and you want a lot for the money.

I used to carry a Spyderco UKPK, S30V/G10 version, which was one handed. It got lost somewhere and now I carry the Boker Techtool1, 12C27/G10 and have not really missed the lack of one-handed operation all that badly. For me, in a legal EDC, it isn't all that important any more. I liked the convenience of the Spyderco, but if I am honest, I didn't need that few fractions of a second faster opening in order to open mail etc. Wood is pretty, but for me the cheap wood just looks cheap and I would rather have harder wearing, more stable laminated material (G10 or Micarta) than plain brown wood.

Best of luck.

Mar 17, 2016
UK
If you can stretch your budget to £40 get a Boker XS Plus. Great EDC knife. If you can stretch to £55 go for a Spyderco UKPK. Neither knife will disappoint you. As per the above point you will be limited if you want wood handle scales although I have seen custom scales made of wood for the UKPK but again this will stretch your budget. Happy knife hunting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Svord peasant mini wood is one hand opening and err...wood! The design might not be everyones cup of tea and the finish is hit and miss but its a great cheap knife! ��

mr_magicfingers

May 15, 2012
London
Another vote for the Boker Techtool 1, mine lives in my pocket all the time. I do have a one-handed opening Enlan knife which is great but not legal carry. I use it around the farm but keep forgetting to take it off when I go out so most of the time I just have the Boker on me so I don't have to remember to change knives when I go anywhere.

Apr 19, 2017
Hampshire
Basically those criteria where a "best case scenario". I dont need a woodenhandle by any means. But I would definitely like it to be one handed opening (whether this is a thumb stud or something else just not the little indent you get on SAKs)

Thanks for all the replies, im gonna have another look on heinnie and ill check out the boker tech tool

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
The Gerber moment folding knive is pretty good. Although it doesn't have a wooden handle its fits the rest of the criteria...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
The Gerber moment folding knive is pretty good. Although it doesn't have a wooden handle its fits the rest of the criteria...

Apart from being illegal for edc and not having a thumb stud :rolleyes:

One handed opening for edc is pretty much a no go as the force of the backspring makes it too hard to open. You can have a friction folder but the cons outweight the one pro to my mind.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
One handed opening for edc is pretty much a no go as the force of the backspring makes it too hard to open.

Both the Spyderco UKPK and Urban open easily, despite having strong springs. I'd suggest either of them to fit your criteria, apart from the cost part.

Some of the Chinese companies, Sanrenmu, Ganzo, and Navy, produce slipjoints of decent quality to your spec.

Here's one as an example. http://www.ant-supplies.uk/folding-blade-knives/sanrenmu-edc-knife.html

Google is your friend.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What keeps the Opinel open if you remove the lock? The one I had was lethal without the lock, would close on you if you so much as sneezed, whether or not you were cutting at the time!

Reactions: MrEd

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
What keeps the Opinel open if you remove the lock?

The same thing as what keeps the non-locking versions open, not much. Personally I'd leave the lock on and deal with the potential consequences, if searched, as I'm in favour of the enhanced safety it provides. Opinels aren't very precisely made, from what I've read, I've read about blades and locks being stiff and others that have been loose, so it'd be best if you were checking the knife in a shop.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I wouldn't take a lock off an opinel, they're deadly imho, always much sharper than expected and can be a bit loose.
In fact I wouldn't trust the lock on an opinel for doing heavy work, they are a great pocket knife for apples / string etc. just don't expect them to do bigger jobs.
But that's just my experience ymmv.

Reactions: Robbi

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Does anyone know of anywhere you can buy a boker plus xs cheaply because the americans seem to be able to get them for 30-40$ but they seem to cost £45+ here?

Usually it's a simple matter of changing the $ to a £ sign with regards American prices. There are VAT and fees to pay for imports into the EU, and with the weak pound, you're seeing fairly realistic prices

RG30something

Jun 23, 2020
Reading, Berks
If it helps, I’ve recently bought the Boker Plus Worldwide for EDC and found it to be excellent. No one headed opening or wooden scales but it is extremely robust and meets all the criteria for legal carry in the UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE