Advice on a second knife

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
With christmas comming up I'm bound to have some cash in hand and I fancy another knife. My first serious knife is a clipper and although it has great sentimental value to me now I'd just like something that's a little bit more "classic" looking, natural handle and sheath etc!

the good points about my clipper are:
Light weight
Holds edge well
pretty easy to use.

what i'd be looking for is :
Full tang ( not needle style tang)
antler or bone or wood handle
woodlore style blade and handle
Carbon steel

my limit is about 60 quid, 65 tops.
any suggestions, all welcome!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My first advice for a custom knife is Gene Ingram...

good:
================
Flawless build quality
fine materials
nice bloke
great prices

bad:
================
LONG wait

In terms of production knives for around that money, EKA do a nice one I have used... the mora isn't full tang, how comes the new one needs to be?

I personally prefer full tang but just wondering.

for stick tang the options increase by a vast number.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Well the reason I feel the mora works so well with a half tang is because of how snugly the plastic fits because it's melted in place. With a wooden handle I feel you need a full tang for it to be more secure! The Gene Ingram looks nice but they are actually pretty pricey!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
bloody hell they have gone up!!

Mine was under £100... though that was some time ago I admit.

I have had great experiences with helle knives (eggen and harding) even though they are stick tang... for second hand maybe try mikes knives.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
woodsmen, craftsmen, carpenters, loggers, trappers, plains- woodsindians, saamis, frontiersmen, chukchis, hunters, fishermen and all sorts of outdoors people have relied on stick tang knifes for centuries. Have you ever broken a stick tang?

If Mors K can thrive with a wooden handled mora, why shouldn't you? Vanity is a sin you know.. :D Can't blame you really though. We're all sinners on that account I guess.

If you can accept the stick tang I can reccomend Karesuando knifes which are handmade and of good quality for a reasonable price. They are readily available in the UK too, or at least that's the impression I've got. Their place on the interweb: www.karesuandokniven.com Another good solid outdoors knifemanufacturer is Strømengs, they make larger leukus, not too expensive either. Used by the saamis all over northern scandinavia for centuries (the leuku, not just from strømengs). Search this forum for leuku and you will find a lot of good reviews. Both these manufacturers use carbon steel, wood, brass and antlers.

Regarding midpriced fulltangs, the range is a bit narrow. If I needed a new knife, I would look into the eka W11, which is a scandi ground fulltang knife with the blade made in 4 mm sandvik 12c27 and a handle made from bubinga. I haven't tried one, but I have handled one and it seemed well made and a lot of bang for the buck. The A10 looks good too, but its sheath looks less than satisfactory. Well, it isn't carbon, but 12C27 is a high quality martensitic stainless steel with a carbon content comparable to some tool steels, and for knives it is usually hardened to 57 HRC which gives it qualities far superior to what people used to make their living with in older days. It also has very good wear resistance (compared to cheaper carbon tool steels of similar hardness). My father uses the flat ground H8, and has skinned quite a few mooses and roe deers with it, along with splitting kindling and whittling. It is is still sharp as a razor after a few draws on the strop.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
If you can accept the stick tang I can reccomend Karesuando knifes which are handmade and of good quality for a reasonable price. Their place on the interweb: www.karesuandokniven.com
Another good solid outdoors knifemanufacturer is Strømengs, they make larger leukus, not too expensive either.

Those two are very good advice. One more vote for those.

For a full tang spearpoint bushcrafter, hand-made, I'd also try http://www.kosterknives.com/.
Dan does very high quality stuff to reasonable prices, and you can choose your materials (steel, handle material) and sheath shape.
Check out his model "bushcrafter".
There's a bit of a waiting list, but not too bad and it's well worth the wait.

/ Karl

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Helle Eggen,a lot of knife for your money (£55ish!)
Strong construction,takes a good edge and keeps it!
Got mine from Mike at Mikesknives,top bloke as well!
Let us know how you get on.
Regards.
C da C.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
These days I either seem to end up using a Mora of some kind or a Helle Eggen.
If you go the Helle root I would advocate hot waxing the sheath for added strength.

Dave

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
An obvious choice in full tang is Enzo from Brisa.fi (Trapper or Camper depending on blade size choice). Not spear point though.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
perhaps I was mis-lead then, the only reason I didn't want a tick tang was because someone told me that they bend when they are put into the wood and this weakens them alot!

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
just been looking at the Helle's online, they look beautiful, can anyone suggest any particular models that are very good other than the Eggen??

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
An obvious choice in full tang is Enzo from Brisa.fi (Trapper or Camper depending on blade size choice). Not spear point though.

That would have been my recommendation as well, given the price range.

2039.jpg

I have no problems with stick tangs but I figure if a guy wants a full tang then he ought to scratch that itch. ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
perhaps I was mis-lead then, the only reason I didn't want a tick tang was because someone told me that they bend when they are put into the wood and this weakens them alot!

Well, methinks someone led you astray on that one. However, all things being equal, the full tang is the stronger design, imo. But a well made stick tang can take a lifetime of hard use.

If you are now leaning towards a stick tang, I'd like to recommend the Brusletto Norgeskniven. :)

brusletto2c.jpg

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Only a second knife?
the difference between a stick tang and a full tang where a hand knife is concerned is none.
you will damage neither by using it in your hand,your bones and skin will break first.
It's only when you abuse a knife does the strength of the tang become an issue,in which case the full tang will take more abuse.But you shouldn't really be abusing your knife.
My personal preference is for a full tang.
Have a look at Bernie Garlands blades reasonably priced blanks,another good blade blank is from Shing also reasonably priced.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE