Advice on 4 season sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Despite the earlier health warning :) I have found my ex army winter bag great in a hammock. If you're not walking with it, it has the advantage of being cheapish to replace if bad things happen to it near a fire, etc.

Does anyone have long experience of the new Jura bag from DD Hammocks? I know there's been a review on the site. I wondered if there is any more info out there since the review.

All the best.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've used a Carinthia Survival One for about 15 years now. When new it was ok to sleep in at -50 C, but these days it is perhaps at best a -30 C bag (synthetic fill is not a lifetime investment...).

Pros: warm, center zips (two of them, inside and out), space for a largish person, space for waterproof bag with clothes inside)
Cons: fairly heavy, takes up a significant part of the packing space inside a Vulcan pack, the double zips are a pain to close when you are cold, the sleeves have been of very little use for me.

They have a down version, I'm tempted...

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Hi Nagura, you mentioned hammock sleeping in particular - are the cold spots on you back, sides, front? I've gone the way of a long winter under-quilt by UKHammocks and a PHD bag I got for a steal on the 'bay. If I didn't have the PHD bag (for regular camping too), then I'd have gone for a top-quilt from Matt too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry Broomstickize, just seeing your post now.....usually the cold spot is on my sides. I have used therma mats but find they slip. I did buy a snugpack underquilt which is good, bit to be honest carrying a bag and an underquilt is a pain. Just wondering if there's a bag to do the job of both.

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Off topic, but funny. We had these bags issued to us on a four day exercise in Dartmouth. We were out on Dartmoor in truly horrific conditions so it made sense .

Couple of days after coming back though, and a few of my 'oppos' had started to report to sick bay. Then a few more...

Turns out they had all contracted crabs from the bags...

And the moral? Think carefully about buying second hand from the Booties, and boil wash the thing to oblivion if you do...

;-)

Scott

That's hilarious.... I think..... Point taken.... I think I would buy new anyway

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Despite the earlier health warning :) I have found my ex army winter bag great in a hammock. If you're not walking with it, it has the advantage of being cheapish to replace if bad things happen to it near a fire, etc.

Does anyone have long experience of the new Jura bag from DD Hammocks? I know there's been a review on the site. I wondered if there is any more info out there since the review.

All the best.

Thanks for that..... I saw the Jura and would be interested to know how people got on with it. To be honest it was the price that put me off... Too cheap to be solid quality????

UKarmr

Feb 22, 2012
N Yorks
Carinthia defence 4. The replacement for the old arctic bag, lighter, compresses better and has a water resist coating on the shell. (Mine fits in the bottom compartment of a 65-80 civvi rucksack)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
PHD. Enough said

+1 best sleeping bags i've used (and that's a fair few)

I have the Minimus which is rated to 5c, at 5c i couldn't say i was toasty hot, but i certainly wasn't cold in any way.

For 4 season use i'd recommend the Minim 400 585g and rated to -5c, throw on a down jacket, some warm socks and trousers and i'd happily spend all but the very coldest UK winters in it.

If you are a cold sleeper though the Hispar 400 would be my next choice, at 655g it's still crazy light especially considering it's rated to -9c comfort use.

Again i'd be happy to use that through any night outdoors through a UK winter.
If you want something warmer still take a gander at their range, you can also design your own sleeping bag

Even if you don't want to design your own you can still spec various outers for the standard PHD bags, although i wouldn't trust the waterproof outers enough for bivving they are waterproof enough to offer a bit more security for accidental spills and/or condensation dripping off tents.

You can also spec where you want the zip and how long you want it, i always prefer a full zip on warmer bags as i just can't sleep if my feet are hot, so i unzip the bottom and pop my feet out.

One other thing, not sure on your experience so sorry if i'm teaching a chicken to lay eggs, but a good quality sleeping mat is just as important as a sleeping bag.

The 2 i would recommend in no particular order are the ThermARest NeoAir XTherm or the Exped DownMat 7

The ThermARest is nearly half the weight of the downmat and they're both cracking mats, choice is really down to the individual, some prefer the Eped mats and find them more comfortable, others the Neoairs.
For me personally i prefer the Exped mats as the 2 outer tubes are slightly large in diameter than the inner ones, so it tends to help stop me rolling off the mat in the night.

As i say though other prefer the Neoair it really depends on how you sleep.

Last edited:

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
+1 for PHD. They offer bags with water resistant shells and have a design your own bag option where you can customise everything. They tend to do an autumn sale and that's how I got my my winter bag which is a -15 rated PHD bag that weight 1kg.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE