Advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
recently i got a set of pots from the GIO thread, they are a copy of the trangia nesting set with windshield 2 pots and a frying pan. My problem is every time i try to cook anything in them without water i.e frying or sauteing (sp) the food gets horribly stuck and is usually inedible by the time its cooked.

They are made from ali and other than this are wicked lol, my question is can these pots/pans be seasoned if not is there anything else i can do or am i best just chucking them and looking for ss non stick ones?

Thanks for your help in advance

Dave

Aug 13, 2011
GIO Thread? Wots that....

I figure you know they are naff..... Recycle them.... (Unless they are faulty).... Then get yer money back......:)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've had the same problem when trying to cook in mess tins, I usually add a splash of oil and try to regulate the intensity of the heat source.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I find the Trangia simmer rings an absolute pest to fit over the stove. I burn my fingers, tip the stove over or miss it altogether while trying to lasso the flame with my simmer ring. On and on, ad infinitum. I need lessons I do.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I find the Trangia simmer rings an absolute pest to fit over the stove. I burn my fingers, tip the stove over or miss it altogether while trying to lasso the flame with my simmer ring. On and on, ad infinitum. I need lessons I do.

I used to find that until I realised it was much easier to lift the top windshield section off the bottom windshied and use that to move the simmer ring. It never gets too hot to pick up.

I drilled the rivet out on the simmer ring lid and replaced it with a brass nut and bolt, dead easy to adjust after that.

As for frying, non stick is the way forward. No matter what I've done to the ally pan, food sticks like cement.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I use a gas camping stove,(easier to control the flame) the problem is, these alumium pans don't have thick enough bases, so heat up far too quickly,....... plenty of oil (olive by preference) & keep the flame low, just enough to lightly sizzle, & take the pan off the flame from time to time whenever it starts to spit, & keep the food moving with a wooden spatula so that it doesn't have time to 'bond' with the pan bottom.
It's not something you can leave & go & do other things while it's cooking, you have to stay with it.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Thin aluminium will stick like the proverbial $h1t on a blanket. As suggested below, a non stick pan is the only solution, combined with some kind of simmer ring to reduce the flame. I have the knock off set that in the UK is available from Clas Ohlsen. I wouldn't dream of frying in it. If you must have a "traditional" breakfast, place chunks of ham (or Spam if you're brave) and beaten eggs in a ziplock freezer bag, place in water in one of the pots and boil until eggs are cooked. SLide out onto plate and use the water to make the hot drink of choice. Works well with any pre cooked meat. Does well for boil in the bag meals also. I mainly use it for dehydrated pre prepared meals.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have to agree with others who prefer non-stick pans. Not only are they easier to cook in but they're easier to keep clean. I have non-stick pans that I keep just for camping, a 26cm or 28cm frying pan (can't remember the exact size) and a little set from Aldi with three pans in it. Both were in the region of seven quid.

You can fry stuff in the ally pans if you're careful, but it's a bit of an art and you have to watch them every second. Good flame control helps enormously but you can work by lifting the pan from the flame. IMO that uses too much fuel if you've carried it to the camp but it's doable for a fire made with scavenged wood. Tinkypete and I did sausages and bannock bread in the Aldi pans somewhere (North Wood? Rough Close?) and it was one of the high point of my very long camping life. :) :campfire: :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

You don't need lessons, you need a pair of pliers. :)

Almost any of the multi-tools will have pliers, even the cheap nasty Chinese knock-offs will do the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE