Advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Hi Fellas. My brother and I plan to ride the Welsh coast to coast in a few months time on mountain bikes; probably in May. We wish to travel minimalistic and so we plan to take a tarp and either a bivi bag or hammock plus whatever other kit we might need. The plan is to find a quiet wooded spot along the way to stop over each night. I have never done any of this before and so I'm looking for advice on essential but minimum kit to take including a suitable tarp and hammock/Bivi. What do you all suggest?

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
There will be loads of opinions on this. But first things first. The thing that struck me was that you'd never done this before. My immediate thought was keep,away from tarps hammocks etc, keep it simple with a two man tent two mats two sleeping bags. However, tarps hammocks are the best way in my opinion,to enjoy the outdoors. If you go down this route I would say a larger tarp the better. It gives you a lot more options for setting up different configurations, which you may need as you are travelling each day. Whatever you choose make sure you practice setting it up before you go. When you are travelling make sure you leave enough light to find a suitable site and set up. Nothing worse than trying to find somewhere suitable in fading light. I could go on and on but there are a couple of things to be going on with. One final thing whatever set up you choose ensure it will withstand the worst weather you can expect particularly as you are on the coast in May.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
There will be loads of opinions on this. But first things first. The thing that struck me was that you'd never done this before. My immediate thought was keep,away from tarps hammocks etc, keep it simple with a two man tent two mats two sleeping bags. However, tarps hammocks are the best way in my opinion,to enjoy the outdoors. If you go down this route I would say a larger tarp the better. It gives you a lot more options for setting up different configurations, which you may need as you are travelling each day. Whatever you choose make sure you practice setting it up before you go. When you are travelling make sure you leave enough light to find a suitable site and set up. Nothing worse than trying to find somewhere suitable in fading light. I could go on and on but there are a couple of things to be going on with. One final thing whatever set up you choose ensure it will withstand the worst weather you can expect particularly as you are on the coast in May.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good advice thanks. I quite fancy the tarp & hammock setup but will of course do numerous test runs before we go. Other things I have consider are toiletry needs, washing ourselves etc. How do people usually deal with this?

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
I've done a fair amount of solo touring on bike and learned a few things.

- Choose a camp spot with lots of light remaining.

- Bivi and 1 x large tarp (cover both of you) is probably the most minimal. This way you can sleep on beaches. Places with minimal trees. Has a small footprint.
Practice putting up and knots.

Your main concern is water - can get very hot in May and you'll be sweating lots. Take at least 2 x full bottles & a water filter so you can drink / fill when you pass a water source. Sun cream and take a hat which can shield you from the sun. Maybe use a wet bandanna / buff to keep your neck cool.

Spread the weight of your gear & food over the whole bike - don't just use rear Panniers as the excess weight on uneven ground can snap your pannier frame.

Consider a lock for your panniers.

Obviously have all the tools to fix mechanical issues - always carry 2 spare inner tubes - again the excess weight puts more strain and more wear. You might want to consider the self healing tubes - has a goo inside which fills in small punctures. You can your cooking oil (olive oil) on your bike chain.

- Stock up on food / snacks as often as possible rather than carry it all. Having a quick scan on google maps can show you built up areas and shops.

- I found it pays to stop & talk to local people as you can find out local beauty / historic spots and you'll meet lots of nice people - it inspires them to get out and have an adventure :)

- Have room in the plan for spontaneity - my favourite experiences came from what was not planned.

- Bathe in Rivers / lakes

Hope this helps. Got me thinking about planning another trip for myself :)

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Hi where are you going to ride from to ? Wales only has one coast ? Hammock set up sounds fantastic in theory but tent would be more practical as you will find official campsites easier than a spot to hang your hammock. But go for it if it's what you want to do.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Do lots of research as to where you might be able to get your bikes fixed. From our town the next possible places to get punctures or small repairs done are 40 odd miles, 17 miles and 35ish depending on which way you travel - and those only during business hours - that's a long way to push a busted bike!
I'd get hold of some standard spares - inner tubes, brake shoes and cables, bolts for panniers etc and all the necessary tools to affect reasonable repairs.

There are maps available with recognised cycle routes, "Sustrans" IIRC.

I'd also recommend that you book a "B&B" every few nights - somewhere you can get a good meal and a hot bath - something to keep your enthusiasm up.

Ogri the trog

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
You could give us an idea of the route, then members with local knowledge may be able to suggest suitable places to stay overnight.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Other things I have consider are toiletry needs, washing ourselves etc. How do people usually deal with this?

Folding nylon/rubber bowl or bucket, sponge and biodegradable travelwash for a full wash every evening, use a cut-down backpacking towel.

Small pack of babywipes for the obvious.

Toothbrush, toothpaste and floss and your clean water for dental hygiene.

Milton wipes for hand hygiene.

Smallest swiss army knife for the scissors (clipping your nails).

I went without a bath/shower for 5 months and 3 months on that regime, as I ran out of toiletries I gradually ended up with just a toothbrush, bar of soap and the SAK which did me fine.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Just throwing in another hammock option, eagle nest outfitters (ENO), great lightweight hammocks packs ridiculously small and if you get the atlas straps, very very easy to put up (like the whole thing in one or two mins). They are a bit pricey as you can only get them from US or sometimes on eBay, but def worth a look.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Just throwing in another hammock option, eagle nest outfitters (ENO), great lightweight hammocks packs ridiculously small and if you get the atlas straps, very very easy to put up (like the whole thing in one or two mins). They are a bit pricey as you can only get them from US or sometimes on eBay, but def worth a look.

Really like the look of those Eagle Nest Outfitters; is there nothing similar in the UK?

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/SINGLENEST.html

gobfish1

May 3, 2009
mancherster uk
id take a tent , m8 .
iv done good bit of bike touring , and some times a few trees are hard to come by . you may end up with your tarp hanging off a farmers gate , and you lay under it ,

iv been over the top from manchester to bala then on to portmadog

what ever you do have a good time ,

i take 5 tubes cant be arsed to patch on the move , patch later when camp is set up , or when your back home

bike problems .. best thing i can say is go over the bike each day be4 you set of , panneirs / bolts tend to work free , so nip them up each day ,
and have a few x bolts to replace if you lose one , i

ps i take tent and tarp , on the one bike , two bikes , lol kitchen sink .

Last edited:

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Theres some good reads around, bearbones website, the bikepacking thread on STW etc.

Personally I'd also go with a tent, unless you're wedded to the open air theme, they can easily be the lighter option (eg zeph 2). If the weather suits, you can always open the fly for the view. Last year I overnighted at afan, Welsh midges ate me alive, i was bloody glad to get inside a something with a mesh.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE