Adventures in stoving.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
So, I did the thing we all do during the recent rains. I went a bit nuts and started fettling.

I discovered poundland had those little aluminium water bottles and they struck me as the ideal starter for making a reasonably sturdy meths stove, mostly to learn/experiment with. having read the zen stoves site a fair chunk, i wanted to test out some theories. Its not pretty, look away now if you're easily offended ;)

nd7vjq.jpg
a304lx.jpg

left to right (and top to bottom):

1. My work in progress wierd ideas thingy. based on the trangia (semi pressurised) principle + being its own pot stand. It started with the thought that getting the jets to burn inwards rather than outwards might be interesting. Well, in reality the flames form around the lower layer of air holes (rather on the internal jet inlets). Its claim to fame is that lifting the pot off creates the worlds biggest flare (and proves that 13stone of lard can move fast when motivated). I suspect it might be ok with the removal of the top inch, reducing it to a design similar to the trangia burner.

2. The most successful, similar to the whitebox stoves. It'll bring 500ml of cold tap water to the boil in 3mins 40 secs (in my shed). Its also sturdy as hell.

3. The original open pan experiment (like a cat stove), takes about 9 mins to bring 500ml of tap water to the boil.

So what did I learn?

1. Supporting the pot directly on the stove isnt very efficient, the fastest bloom happened in 35 secs and thats 35secs of heat being wasted.
2. Hole patterns are crucial in stoves that rely on a pot making a seal (if you want them to self ignite).
3. this stuff is stupidly addictive. its ridiculous.

Anyway, heres a pic of design 2 in action..... Im calling this one a success since it seems to boil water in 2/3 the time of a whitebox (based on the data I found on the duo)

etwns7.jpg

Whats next?

Im going to dabble with the inward facing jets, on the trangia principle..... with a separate pot stand (made of wire mesh). I figure this way I dont waste time/heat while I wait for the widget to bloom.

PS> they're all made just with a dremel for cutting and then push/friction fit together.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Good stuff!

Once you run out of ideas for pressure stoves there is the wick styles to tinker with! I think I have had about 10 favourite stoves now!

Here is my latest favourite, a pellet tin within a Salmon can with carbon felt stuffed between. The pellet tin has holes around the bottom to allow the Meths to soak the felt. Also there is a row of holes below where the pot sits that act as kind of low power pressure jets. This is a hybrid pressure/wick stove and it works great with my Titan kettle.

008-9.jpg

Have fun,

Steve:)

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Number 2 looks great! Are the two parts just push fit or is there some wizardry holding them together?

Just a friction fit mate. I found 5mm of overlap is enough to make it gas tight as long as you keep the parts aligned.

Once you run out of ideas for pressure stoves there is the wick styles to tinker with!

Oh I hate you ;) out of interest, how much fuel/how long does it take to boil 500ml on one of those?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Not the quickest stove but the most reliable used outside in the cold as it primes instantly. The stats I have were using 65 degree F water (18.3 deg C) outside with a Titan kettle and wind-shield.

500ml water boiled to 212 deg F (100 deg C) using a probe thermometer in 6:10 using 1oz/30ml of Meths with flame out at 12:10.

0.5oz/15ml Meths brought 500ml of water to 194 deg F (90 deg C) before flame out.

You got a good boil time on your WBS clone, I suspect the wide pot helped? That is another thing with these stoves, pot design makes a very real difference to boil times. I never had much luck using tall narrow pots and I tried quite a few until I settled on the titan.

Steve.

Last edited:

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Interesting.

Like you say matching the pot to the stove seems key. I cant say Im a fan of tall skinny pots, although I dont have any evidence it seems sensible to me to ensure maximum use of the hottest part of the 'flame' over the base.

All this buggering about makes you appreciate some of the design features of things like the trangia system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE