Adder Emergence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
In the seventeen years I have lived in the southwest I have only ever seen three of the things, all of them on or close to the SW coast path. Note that I ever managed to get much of a look as they're shy and fast.

Reactions: JonathanD

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
You have to creep up really slowly. put you knife down beside them for scale, then quickly take a picture before they notice.
:D I agree creep slowly, actually the thing to avoid is ground vibration I have't noticed that they are very shy of movement. The second part is trickier, I don't think anybody's reflexes are fast enough if the snake does not agree with the knife unless you are a mongoose or Brazilian terrier.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
We get a lot around here.
Whenever I see them I always report the sighting to the local Reptile and Amphibian Group. But I'll also post here when I see one.
We had a snap of warm weather a couple of weeks ago and I had a look then, but no sign (fortunately, because it went cold again). I tend to see common lizards before the snakes and use them as a barometer.
I'll be out and about at the weekend so I'll have a nosey then.

Reactions: JonathanD

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Cute snake! :)

I like that knife you've had done there. Seen it around a few times over the years. The (oiled?) bone is really nice. Only just figured out the hump on the back of the blade ... :) Thought it was a frivolity at first, but clearly not once you get your eye in.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Out for a walk earlier today and saw my first adders of the season - three of them:

51071002117_6130ae758f_c.jpg

51001722195_106e160d41_c.jpg

Common lizards are active as well.
Yet to see a slow worm or grass snake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE