acquiring cuttings and small seedlings

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
what are you views on taking seedlings and cuttings from local woods and fields?
personally i dont think theres anything wrong with it, as long as you use some common sense i.e. if their in a bunch take the outer seedlings so you don't disturb the others roots, only select plants where there are already a well established population, always put things back how they were i.e. scatter leaves/mulch and dont leave holes in the ground so it looks untouched
and with cuttings alway use sharp tools and leave a nice clean cut, then dab a bit of mud on the cut to help protect it
also if the plant takes,and it produces seeds, plant the seeds you get from that plant and transfer the seedlings back to there roots (pun intended :) ) or if its a clump forming plant separate some segments of and replant them where you got the original from

im trying to learn some basic tree/shrub/ wild flower/grass/lowerplant/moss identification skills and i think having some specimens would help, plus i could have my very own bit of woodland/wild fields
i already have a bonsai sycamore, oak and citrus tree (these i grew from seed) some mosses and a small fern

do you think the way i'm going about this is ok, any suggestions tips advice etc would be really appreciated

after all bushcraft is about living with nature right, so bringing a bit of it home is a good thing imo

i dont see anything wrong personnally

however if your diggin up even seelings that is not allowed as its uprooting etc
Cuttings would be fine unless in a CROW act area

that goes for pubic areas as well as private without permission on wild plants tho you have to trespas to do that

ive always collect seeds of edible stuff to see if it will take in my garden ie Ramsons etc

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
For cuttings, thats fine as long as the species isn't protected, or in danger locally. Just because you can legally pick something doesn't mean you should after all. The uprooting of plants in any state is of course against the law. Having said that of course, you could get permission. Have I ever in my life ever taken a plant home, even one of the really really common as muck plants? Of course not yer honour... ;)

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE