Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
95fe3dca-4d91-b089.jpg

Not unlike the 'Green Man'
95fe3dca-4db5-792f.jpg

Anyone else seen these mutations? There's a few in the local wood :(

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
95fe3dca-4d91-b089.jpg

Not unlike the 'Green Man'
95fe3dca-4db5-792f.jpg

Anyone else seen these mutations? There's a few in the local wood :(

As mentioned, its caused by the knopper gall wasp, wouldn't happen in this country if various toffs hadn't adopted Turkey Oaks for their gardens as the knopper gall wasp requires the turkey oak in order to complete its life cycle.

As far as I'm concerned, the very least they could do would be to quietly ringbark their turkey oaks so people living close wouldn't have scabby acorns forming on their Pendunculate oak (English Oak) trees.
In short, its natural but only in countries that naturally have Turkey Oak trees.

A few years ago I collected a load of acorns and was chuffed to bits when pretty much all of them started growing in pots. After some time I noticed that some had slightly pointy lobes to their leaves and looked in my Trees book to find out more. A little more research showed them to be Turkey oak and even more research showed that they host knopper gall wasps in their catkins, which later go on to damage Pendunculate Oak acorns.

No prizes for guessing which small oak trees in pots got pulled out and bunged into the compost heap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE