Acorn coffee "Help please"

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
We have a bumper crop of acorns in my area this year and its something I have never tried and thats Acorn coffee.

I will expect there are plenty of recipes out there, the more the merrier, what I need to know is how to prep and cook them.

many thanks

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, this is what I did, but it's probably wrong!!

I shelled the acorns and then put them in my food processor and chopped them up into small bits, about the size of an air rifle pellet. I then put them in a hot pan and kept tossing the pan to keep the bits moving. When they started going dark, I crushed them a bit finer and then continued dry roasting in the pan.

When the acorn bits are really dark brown, almost black, I stopped. I had a quick taste of it in a small cup with hot water and a spoon of sugar, and it nearly blew my socks off!! It's strong stuff, so go easy on the amount you put in your cup!!

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Damascus said:
We have a bumper crop of acorns in my area this year and its something I have never tried and that's Acorn coffee.

I will expect there are plenty of recipes out there, the more the merrier, what I need to know is how to prep and cook them.

many thanks

Peal the acorns, then you have to wash them to remove as much tannin as you can. If at home, you could crush the acorns if in the woods, half them and put them in a net bag, dangle in a stream for a day or two.
Then dry and roast!
Not that nice mind you.

You can also make bread from them, grind the dried acorns in to flour.

HTH

John

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ahh, I didn't wash mine for that long, I think I put them in some water for a few hours, but not as long as two days. Maybe that is why it is so strong!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just peel them and roast them for coffee. If making flour then yes they need to be leached first.

IMG_8116.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8126.jpg

I usually just store them at this first roast stage, it sorts of preserves the acorns, then do a really good roast before I use them, grind or pound them small, and use as ordinary coffee.

Capt. Badger did a really good set of instructions recently for acorn coffee.

Cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice pics Mary, I find the peeling of the damned things is the most off putting bit! I have no idea what chronic arthiritis in the hands feels like, but it must be worse than what my hands felt like after doing a couple of handfuls and that was bad!

I may have to collect some more and get the kids involved!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's why I quarter them first; they peel off then like shelling peas.....and somedays the arthritis jsut isn't funny :(

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not a lot, no, but I can use them. If I use an iron mordant I get a sort of neutral green/brown. It's not a brilliant colour but it's a good base colour for weaving. If I use a copper mordant it's a better yellow/green.
The shells burn well though :) and supposedly (I haven't tried it) the ash is good for lye for soapmaking.

Cheers,
Toddy

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
cheers for the info, will being upsetting the wife now with acorn coffee production, the photo's brilliant.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
redcollective said:
More on acorns: (not coffee) + some indian acorn cake recipes:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay79.html

Wow grate link :You_Rock_ . I've been thinking about trying to make some acorn meal recently, there seems to be lodes this year, has anyone baked with it, what does it taste like? I'll definitely have a go with it, see what difference it makes in my bread.

Oh yes are those horse-chestnuts to the right of that pic in the bowl with the beechnuts? are they edible to?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"Oh yes are those horse-chestnuts to the right of that pic in the bowl with the beechnuts? are they edible too?"

Hmmm, no, I'm going to use them to make soap........if I can stop HWMBLT planting them :rolleyes: I'm now up to half a stone of chessies but there must be thirty or forty disappear a day as he goes walkabout with a trowel :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I had a crack at some acorn coffee this morning and was pleasantly surprised. Having been told that it wasn't very good I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it was remarkbly like the real thing without being like it, if you see what I mean.... :confused:

Then it lead me to wonder, has anyone tried blending it with chicory root or other 'coffee substitutes' and if so what was the effect?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pretty good isn't it? surprisingly tasty :)
I really like the different teas and coffees that we make, I like the changes through the seasons, and when it's all used up, well there's the aniticipation of next year :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nooooo :) Do tell :cool:
Parsnips are one of the very few veggie things I'm not fond of, HWMBLT however thoroughly enjoys a bowl of butteredd and peppered boiled parsnips.
If they're good for something tasty, I'd be interested. :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Toddy said:
Nooooo :) Do tell :cool:
Parsnips are one of the very few veggie things I'm not fond of, HWMBLT however thoroughly enjoys a bowl of butteredd and peppered boiled parsnips.
If they're good for something tasty, I'd be interested. :D

Cheers,
Toddy
I'm not sure if I've said this before but parsnips are only fit for cattle and pigs :p

I’ve not heard of parsnips being used as a coffee substitute, wild carrot root, yes. I didn’t know but I’ve just read that “once up on the days of yore” they were both called the same thing -- Pastinace (which means to dig up)
Mother earth it seems, has heard of it.
Motherearth said:
Cut a batch of fresh parsnip roots (skins and all) into very small pieces, or grate the roots as you would hashbrown potatoes. Dehydrate the bits well, then roast 'em in a 400°F oven until they're a very dark brown (about 20 minutes). Turn the oven` off and allow the crunchy morsels to cool as the oven itself cools:

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE