A wild camping association idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's great. I'm sure there are lots of landowners who will allow some camping when approached in the right way. Making it easier to find out whose permission to ask must take away any excuse for not doing so.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Fortunately PRW commenced as a type of TAX evasion by land owners, during the tithe awards. Resulting in our public rights of way by default. Nothing to do with the Ramblers association, but who have contributed to the mapping of PRW since and also open access. The rest of your statement, "well" That's exactly the view the New AGE Travelers preached and look what good that did.

Sorry to be a pedant but the section you chose to quote mentions a book on rambling. Rambling was around as a word and activity a long time before the Ramblers Association (now called simply The Ramblers). That quote was for a book on the activity I believe not the association so can pre-date the association. It is later on the poster mentioned the Association and they mentioned the 1900s for the timeframe for that.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
As far as the OP I say search for the backpackers club http://www.backpackersclub.co.uk

They have a list for members of farmers who allow camping on their land. Some include drinking water and are very helpful. Sounds like what you want is around in alimited format. Personally I don't want to see your proposal. The idea of people camping with fires in a lot of places does give me cause for concern. I completely believe fires, apart from in controlled Kelly kettles or stoves, should not be commonplace. Just my opinion because once one group sets a fire with permission it might lead to others setting fires in the same location.

BTW wildcamping is permitted in a very limited set of areas in England. IIRC there are certain wildcamping spots in Northumberland too. The Lakes has an informal, high level, low impact wildcamp acceptance. I've never had a landowner complain or stop me. I know a few locations Outward Bounds use regularly (and trash a bit too but that's just my experience of coming.inn after them).

Take the fire out of the equation and use tread lightly approach you're probably not going to be kicked off if you're in upland areas and are discrete. PS forget about using yellow or red tents too. I have a photograph of a Lakeland tarn with my large tarp pitched. It's seen from a hillside next to it and despite being 100m away you can't see anything of my tarp. It was in.a flying v which probably makes it more obvious. I've seen mates pitched up with laser tents, even 2 tents close together, and they're very discrete. Add a fire and at night.you're visible again. Same pitch as my tarp site above I could see down to Grasmere and right at the opposite end to the the village there was a group with a fire. I could see them from the opposite side of the village to Grasmere the body of water and they were the other side of the mere. Talking miles away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE