A weekend in Elan Valley... And sunburn.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Simplysu,

Since you don't have ten posts yet I don't think we can personal message you. Anyway, there are three good options. There's a pay and display car park in Rhayader itself, but it isn't expensive. Alternatively, you can use the Elan Valley visitor centre car park (again pay and display) of one of the several free car parks around the estate. Thirdly, I like to park by the church, at Llanwrthwl, which is south of Rhayader, and lies directly on the Wye Valley path. To be honest, cars are pretty secure wherever you park the in that area.

With regard to camping, the Elan Estate enforces a no camping, no boating, no fires policy, and fishing is also rigorously controlled. There are wardens (several) and they do check. That said, it is a very big estate and if you are off the beaten track any significant distance, you are effectively invisible. It would be utterly impossible to enforce the no camping rule across the entire estate without the use of a helicopter equipped with thermal imaging. All of the woodlands on the estate are SSSI's, and most are National Nature Reserve status.

We found a woodland south of the estate for the first night, along the road from Llanwrthwl. The second night was on the moors, and I suspect we were inside the estate boundaries for that one, but am not sure, and we were in the remotest part of the estate region.

When you are up to 10 posts drop me a PM and I might be able to give you more information.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE