A weekend and a day - Part III

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Decorum couldn't make this one due to a damaged leg so .... hope you are recovering Phil and as I didn't stay for the 'day' I am putting up first some early initial thoughts on the visit.
First of all many thanks again to our host.
This was my third outdoor weekend this year and by far the most enjoyable (of the previous two one was an outdoor skills course - learned a hell of a lot but got cold one night, and the other was to this same site - great experience but again very cold).
The enjoyment came from the mild weather and general lack of rain - apart from the Sunday morning when I was packing up, the opportunity to try out new things (some of which actually worked!) , and the great company. This last one is a constant in my experience. And of course the marvellous site:
CIMG6768.JPG

TARP SET UPS (1)
I had asked for advice in a previous thread and after considering comments received I took advantage of the Sports Direct offer on bags. I labled them and used their fastening to hang them under the tarp ridge. My rucksack was empty, apart from small stuff in the pockets:
CIMG6765.JPG

This worked really well and I spent a lot less time looking for stuff which noticeably added to my enjoyment of the weekend (just so much less hassle).
TARP SET UPS (2)
Steve (Mesquite) has a set up that I really like and he has improved it since I last saw it:
From behind:
CIMG6750.JPG

At the front is an additional canopy formed by folding a tarp in half. The clever thing is that you can fold down half of the canopy to give better protection from the elements and more privacy if necessary:
CIMG6754.JPG

CIMG6753.JPG

CIMG6752.JPG

CIMG6751.JPG

SWEDISH TORCH
I took a Swedish torch with me and gave that a go:
CIMG6763.JPG

I found it quite difficult to keep alight (having used ?fuel tabs to get it going). It continued to smoulder long after the flames stopped and created a fantastic shape (sorry no pics) so I'd like to try again if only for that reason.
SWISS VOLCANO STOVE
As others do, I took this simply for when I wanted hot water for a cuppa or for a quickie porridge on the last morning. This worked well. In general half a (?)fuel tab gave a cup of hot water - and my enamel mug made a perfect lid to help the water heat up more quickly:
CIMG6764.JPG

MINE HOST ...
.. took us on bimble through the wood. This was a lovely, light stroll and included my first ever involvement in stalking deer. We could see them running about in the wood but then lost them.
He also cooked a great Thai curry in his Dutch oven using an authentic Thai paste. I'm not a great fan of curries but this was good:
CIMG6773.JPG

The light coloured round things are water chestnuts - not mushrooms - and they added a good variation in texture to the meal
MY DUTCH OVEN
I recently bought a Dutch oven and was helped to cure/proof it on the first evening. This worked well, and I used the lid as a frying pan the next morning and it was totally non-stick.

So a brilliant weekend - just hope it continued like that for those staying on for the Monday!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE