A warning to all venturing out...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire

This was sent to me by a colleague. I'd like to think no one on this forum would make this mistake, but the more people there are who are aware, the less chance of these tragedies continuing to occur.

You may have become aware, from media coverage in recent years, of a number of fatalities due to carbon monoxide poisoning in tents at camping sites. There are of the order of 5 – 10 incidents (and several near misses) of this type each year and, despite periodic media coverage, they are still occurring and possibly on the increase.

These incidents generally involve people taking a cool, but still burning, portable charcoal fuelled barbeque into a tent, often to provide warmth overnight during cold weather. This should not be done in any circumstances! Ad-hoc tests by others have shown that with modern tent designs (i.e. better sealed against draughts) a concentration of 500ppm of carbon monoxide can be developed in the tent in as little as 3 minutes, a level that can prove fatal in a few hours (e.g. overnight).

Kwaidan

Jan 4, 2012
S.E. London
Few weeks a go a couple in work here talking about their planned camping trip and their new big tent with great 'living area'. (thankfully) Mentioned that it was big enough that they'd but the bbq in it if it rained!
Needless to say they were put right. And these are generally intelligent people in their mid 30's.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ventilation is often talked about here, I tend to include a warning when appropriate as do others, never any harm in repeating the warning.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Would taking a carbon monoxide alarm be a good idea for them?

We have one in the kitchen - white box operated with 9V battery (pp9?) - looks similar to fire alarm, but supposed to go off when carbon monoxide is detected.

Last edited:

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Yes Rik, if there is adequate ventlation at ground level, then there should be no problem.....
Common sense really, as C02 starts at ground level and builds up from there, but you'd think
most folks would know that from SKOOL days....:(

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes Rik, if there is adequate ventlation at ground level, then there should be no problem.....
Common sense really, as C02 starts at ground level and builds up from there, but you'd think
most folks would know that from SKOOL days....:(

You mean CO.

:)

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I've got a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm in my tent when i run the wood burning stove. I clear a spot in the back of the tent and just lay it on the ground, but in the manual it say's to hang it up on the ceiling. I'm not sure the alarm will work properly laying on the ground. Can anybody enlighten me?

A quick search on the web gave the following answer, on the website of First Alert who make carbon monoxide alarms:

"Carbon monoxide is not heavier than air. The diffusion of carbon monoxide in air is relatively even, meaning that a source of carbon monoxide can distribute the gas evenly throughout the room and house. When installing a carbon monoxide alarm, choose a location where the alarm will stay clean, and out of the way of children or pets. See User's Manual for specific installation requirements."

Natural gas is heavier than air. Smoke contains various combustion products / gases which are heavier than air, but rise in the first instance due to thermal currents.

In short, the use of a battery powered CO alarm is a good idea, the best place would probably be in the sleeping area around the level that your head will be when you are asleep.

During the day it's best to keep the tent well ventilated, and go outside for fresh air immediately if you start to get a headache whilst inside when there is a potential for a build-up of CO.

caffeine

Banned
Jul 29, 2012
Earth
my dad has always warned me of this ever since i can remember but well worth letting people know

i've never had to use one in a tent before ... i dont think i would either unless i had tent specifically designed for a stove or i was in danger of death ... but in that case i would also take appropriate actions to ventilate the tent

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE