A Walk in the Valley with Spiders & Jewelweed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I took Friday off and with Monday being Labour Day here in Canada, I had a 4 day weekend.

It was a fairly busy weekend, mounting a big mirror on the wall, putting up light-fixtures (they are tricky), sitting in the back garden, drinking beer, picking up relatives at the airport, you know - long weekends.

Yesterday, earlier in the day we picked up Spring's mum from the airport. Once we got home, I went for a hike down into the valley.

This spider was just hanging out.

They're quite perfect - spiders - when viewed close up.

I thought this out-of-focus picture of blue berries turned out really well, somehow. I can't figure out what these are, however.

This yellow and orange flower is an obvious one for me. It grows all over the valley among the moist, marshy field floors.

I looked it up in my Peterson Field Guides "Edible Wild Plants - Eastern/Central North America" text.

This is called Spotted Jewelweed or Touch-Me-Not (Impatiens capensis Meerb.) and is also known as Silverleaf - because water beads over the leaves, leaving a cast of silvery-air bubbles trapped beneath.

The leaves can be picked, crushed between the palms to squeeze out the slightly sticky juice, and rubbed on the skin to treat the contact dermatitis rash that develops from Poison Ivy and Nettles.

The flowers were used by Native Americans to make orange dyes. The young shoots can be cooked in water for boiled greens.

Cheers,

Mungo

Ha! It was a hot day, and I thought it best to wait until I'd returned, and then I would take him for a shorter walk around the grassy park at the top of the valley. He is in training for his canoe trip that is coming up in less than two weeks... a daily looooong walk, and pep talks!
:)
Mungo

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great pics mate will have to check in on your site again.
Where is 'the valley'? Just thinking in relation to Oshua? (spelling)
Will be hopefully back in Toronto early next year so would be nice to stretch me legs!
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE