A visit to Morchs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Was just about dark when I set up. That night a couple of us heard grunting and the next morning thought we were onto a possible badger sighting if we played our cards right....

MORCHS_01.jpg

...until Nathan told us it was where he and Warthog had uprooted a wee stunted deadstander the evening before.:rolleyes: The noises were probably just deer.

Toddys chute and firebowl made for a cosy environment.

MORCHS_02.jpg

A deer track, not fresh but still clear. Just happened to have the camera out as a cheeky young stoat or weasel was giving me the run-around. Disappeared down an old rabbit burrow then popped it's head out of another entrance. Back in before I could get a photo.
It was small and thin and grey and young looking, wasn't a mink, ferret or pine martin. Russ found tracks.

MORCHS_03.jpg

Russ with a saw - a sight that'll come as no surprise to anyone who's ever met him. ;)

MORCHS_04.jpg

Projectile corner.

MORCHS_05.jpg

MORCHS_06.jpg

Nathan took Gailainne and I for a wander up the burn. We found bits of chert all the way up but it was so flaky/slaty and brittle that we weren't fussed about finding the main face.
The pebble geology was fascinating. I've never seen such a hodge-podge(at least the Loch Lomond stone soup was mostly recognisable types).
Mainly sandstones(lots of types), limestones and basalts but with a dozen rock types I'm not familiar with. Nathan found some real weird looking conglomerate, golden-brown crystals and cement(no pics).

This lump(and other's like it) were heavier than they really had any right to be. We suspected it was ore.

MORCHS_07.jpg

There's certainly plenty of iron around. Oxide was oozing out the gorge all over the place.

MORCHS_08.jpg

Got us discussing the water filtering systems designed for heavy metals. When you're camping on the edge of The Leadhills.......

Nathan pointed out a sleeping ledge he's been eyeing up. :)

MORCHS_09.jpg

MORCHS_10.jpg

This was my "must find out what that is" flower for the weekend.

MORCHS_11.jpg

Mmmm, pignuts.

MORCHS_12.jpg

Again, many thanks to Dave and Liz for having and basically feeding us. Cheers to Nathan for all the stoating about company and everyone who made it along, braving the apocalyptic forecast(it didn't rain worth talking about all the time we were there :D ).

:)
Josh

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's no pignut - that's yarrow. I keep making that mistake myself... Big heavy rock certainly looks like iron ore, and it looks like there's some interesting bouldering / climbing opportunities there...

Looks like you all had a great time. Sorry I missed it!

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
032.jpg

Marys Parachute

041.jpg

A great little place to have a wander and a sit down :rolleyes:

048.jpg

A shot of the chute from up the hill

064.jpg

The best TV in the world

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Here's a few shots I got at Morchs,
DSCN0906.jpg

Liz kickin' back in front of the bush tv

DSCN0911.jpg

This was on the other side... ; )

Three stages of Fly Agaric
DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0880.jpg

DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

What's this one?
DSCN0899.jpg

And this one
DSCN0881.jpg

Marys' chute
DSCN0884.jpg

Men in green
DSCN0888.jpg

Men in green
DSCN0900.jpg

My set up
Hope you enjoy,
thanks again to everyone,
jon

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
That's no pignut - that's yarrow.

ar$e.... elbow...., it's all the same to me.:)

Does this help? I think of pignut being carrotish and yarrow being yewish leafwise. To be fair to Stephen I thought it was a pignut too when I snapped it in passing and to be honest I rarely come across either in Kintyre.

MORCHS_13.jpg

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
That's a nice spot Morch and Liz have there. Shame I couldn't make it along, other commitments kept me away. Looks like you all had a lot of fun. :D

P.S. Love those Fly Agaric shots too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE