A Victorian Rent Collectors Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(Ill have to take pictures)

Something I got at the Car boot before I went to Scotland...Just now looking at it.

This is what I was told it was...its certainly old. the Leather is a bit cracked but mostly good.

I will give it a good clean and hide feed.

The stitching is mostly sound...some needs replacing.

Well within my capabilities but should I;

-Do whats needed?
-Replace all?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree. Make it sound, but things have a life, and unless kept in museum type archives, everything 'wears and tears'.

What you could do it make a really accurate pattern, and draw out the construction details, and make a new one, and the old one could go to a heritage centre/ museum since it's of real social interest.

M

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Can't wait to see pictures. After years of turning up to posh places looking like an Urban warrior with my bag choices I found what I can only describe as an old school leather doctors bag but made by Timberland. Picked it up for a song in a charity shop but UNBELIEVABLY expensive and well made being lined in the yellow timberland glove leather.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures too. In 1959 at the age of 17 I was sent out weekly to collect rents from Portsmouth Council House tenants carrying a special leather bag. By the time I had finished my regular round, I was carrying several hundred pounds in cash: worth thousands in today's prices. Even though I walked the same route at the same time every week, it didn't cross my mind, and fortunately nobody else's, that neither I nor my colleagues were worth robbing.

Nov 13, 2022
Edinburgh
If you do end up making a copy would you mind uploading pictures of the pattern you used to make it? I'm interested to see this, and I've just bought a sewing machine so looking for some sewing projects.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE