A very sad day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
By coincidence, my aunt, my past mother's oldest sister, died this morning :(
She was also 96 - she was the matriarch of our family and will be sorely missed.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you have many fond memories of her to remember her by.

Reactions: Toddy

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Found this elsewhere:

Phillip came to me today,
and said it was time to go.
I looked at him and smiled,
as i whispered that "I know"

I then turned and looked behind me,
and seen I was asleep.
All my Family were around me,
and I could hear them weep.

I gently touched each shoulder,
with Phillip by my side.
Then I turned away and walked,
with My Angel guide.

Phillip held my hand,
as he lead the way,
to a world where King's and Queens,
are Monarch's every day.

I was given a crown to wear
or a Halo known by some.
The difference is up here,
they are worn by everyone.

I felt a sense of peace,
my reign had seen its end.
70 years I had served my Country,
as the peoples friend.

Thank you for the years,
for all your time and love.
Now I am one of two again,
in our Palace up above.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Politics aside - I'm not a big fan of the bloke, but I listened to Boris Johnsons speech/tribute that he read out in Parliament today(?), it was near 9 mins long and I expected to zone out and start skipping, but I was very impressed, it was very fitting and a great tribute. Went some way to explaining a lot of our feelings as well. Recommended watch.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
She officially opened the new "Queens Wing" when I was at school. Her and hubby came round stopping to speak to alternate groups of kids. We were throughout the school grounds in small groups and they talked to all the little groups between them. All the younger half of the school wanted the Queen. All the older half wanted the Duke and if they did they tried to set him up to say something inappropriate. He didn't but she was by all accounts quite funny. It was all on private land without the press allowed in because we're kids. They were more relaxed I think.

Anyway she did her ribbon cutting after looking at the royal charter from her namesake queen. A document and huge seal taken out of a secure vault for the day. Then the Queen presented her Royal charter. A big day for our school apparently. Whatever, she's a big figurehead for the nation, was but now King Charles III has a big challenge to meet people's expectations of our monarch after the Queen. I think he can do it just not as long. These are strange times indeed.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hears something from an ex military mate today, we were discussing the change in money, stamps, possibly letter boxes etc etc...he told me that the soldiers are going to have to change all their buttons...

Bearing mind he's no spring chicken, might not be relatively too long before there is another change...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hears something from an ex military mate today, we were discussing the change in money, stamps, possibly letter boxes etc etc...he told me that the soldiers are going to have to change all their buttons...

Bearing mind he's no spring chicken, might not be relatively too long before there is another change...

Christ..

neg.jpg

Reactions: Herman30

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I mean, this entire thread is based on a sad day, which is a negative thing..

I thought my post was discussing the upheaval of things we've never considered but always been accustomed too...

Comment about KC3 was more in relation to the fact that QE2 was v young when she became Queen... and he ain't.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I mean, this entire thread is based on a sad day, which is a negative thing..

I thought my post was discussing the upheaval of things we've never considered but always been accustomed too...

Comment about KC3 was more in relation to the fact that QE2 was v young when she became Queen... and he ain't.

Yes , a sad day to acknowledge the passing of a Queen who sat on the throne for a long and glorious loved reign.

So no need in my opinion for good taste to throw the hypothetical potential quick passing of her son and the present King.

We are all however entitled to our opinions , just didn't think it was needed to be discussed in a thread that is mostly about the mourning of what has currently been lost....

Just saying..

Reactions: Woody girl

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
A University professor of Nigerian background got very nasty on US social media about her passing.
With my family history the same posturing could be expected. And for what good?
Years ago, I worked in a garage heavily patronized by UK expats.
Lady came in, East Ender child during the blitz. Her old Jaguar saloon was oranges by an idiot trophy wife in a SUV. She’s upset enough, when a predator bird shadow approached. One of the Spanish HE111s hungered nearby among other warbirds. She looked up and totally broke down.
I got her inside and brewed a cuppa.
My boss thought it an affectation with his addiction to Starbucks Coffee. The cup? A coronation piece from 1953 ( my birth year)
She held that cup, nibbling a digestive and looking at the portraits, now hazing with time.
She pulled herself together. I gifted the cup.
So, for those like her, I called my trendy lefty radio station and suggested they ‘ put a sock on it’
California version of ‘ shut yer gob fool.’

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
306033326_5416681048400108_3461974096057047735_n.jpg

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Heard a few good stories about her fixing her land-rover when it cut out one day. Another when she bumped into 2 american tourists in Scotland whilst walking and supposedly had one of her security with her, the tourists asked if she'd ever met the Queen to which she replied "no, but he has" gesturing to one of the security lads...

How verified they are, I don't know, but what I find interesting is that they don't sound far from the truth from what seemed to be a witty and very adept woman!

@TeeDee Some figures for you:
QE2 96 years yrs old, reigned for 70 years (and approx 2/3's) from the age of 25.
KC3 Ascended to the throne at 73 yrs old. That's all I meant, nothing hasty about it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Heard a few good stories about her fixing her land-rover when it cut out one day. Another when she bumped into 2 american tourists in Scotland whilst walking and supposedly had one of her security with her, the tourists asked if she'd ever met the Queen to which she replied "no, but he has" gesturing to one of the security lads...

How verified they are, I don't know, but what I find interesting is that they don't sound far from the truth from what seemed to be a witty and very adept woman!

QE2 96 years yrs old, reigned for 70 years (and approx 2/3's) from the age of 25.
KC3 Ascended to the throne at 73 yrs old. That's all I meant, nothing hasty about it.

Yes Scottie , I'm aware of the facts and the maths :) , and maybe you are correct - but what shall we do so save ourselves from all the hullaballo and upheaval? skip Charles and go straight to William??

Charles is our King upto the point that he is not be that 10 days or 10 years.

As the great late Mr Pratchett pointed out Monarchy is the the fastest thing in the Universe leaving the speed of light in its dust... I'm sure we can adapt to the situation as, when and IF it arises... a contingency plan is at this time not needed. :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria

His family has a history of very long life. From Queen Vic, Queen mother through his mum and even his dad! 73 years old could give him 30 years in the job. His dad was about 100, gran over 100. Let's stop the negativity. If his genetics is anything I go by he'll possibly outlive a lot on here, so maybe we'll never find out!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The late Queen served in the women's auxiliary territorial army thingy. She fixed military vehicles through the war. In uniform! She probably knows more about cars and land rovers than most on here. Certainly the older models. A good driver too!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
KC3 is a more remarkable individual than most give him credit for. If anyone ever suggests he abdicates for his younger son then I for one will join the republicans over here and campaign hard. Abdication is only for a good reason like the king is a nazi or incapable. King Charles is neither. If anything he has proven to be far-sighted and ahead of society with his campaigning on climate and the environment. He's like his dad but more so on that. I think I'm his shorter reign but longer service as Prince of Wales he might end up having done more good than his mother. Just my opinion that's not widely supported by society.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There was a lot of controversy when a 25 year old woman became queen, and many in government and elsewhere questioned her ability to be able to be a queen with her youth and being female.
Now , if you ask me, this family are trained to be royal from birth, so any grumbling is just sour grapes and envy of their privilege, which isn't all its cracked up to be anyway. They do make sacrifices for that privilege, both in personal life and in public.
I think Charles will make a good king, he's been understudy for more years than he will be in the role in all possibility.
He knows the role backwards, and will make the most of it. It's been an awfully long wait for him to fulfil his destiny.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
My goodness, I'm not calling for abdication I was simply pointing out things that we don't consider will change...were most people here aware that military buttons are changing? Because I wasn't..

Forgive me for mentioning it, I guess I'll keep shtum or get all het up at the next person who tells me something I've taken for granted/never considered is changing because it has QE2 written on it....

Last edited:
Reactions: Wandjina

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Now , if you ask me, this family are trained to be royal from birth, so any grumbling is just sour grapes and envy of their privilege, which isn't all its cracked up to be anyway. They do make sacrifices for that privilege, both in personal life and in public.

Totally agree with this. They have privileged lives no doubt in some manners, but the cost must be high, for sure they're a lot less privileged than some of the upper levels they went to school with who have no reason to maintain good grace.

I know this is the point in the monarchy, I always found the Queen to be someone who comes across as a caretaker for the crown, she did what was required for that job title, and I can imagine there would be hundreds of things she didn't do (that she wanted to) because of that role she played. At Prince Philips funeral, she sat alone during covid times, she could have pulled the royal card and sat with family, but selflessly sat alone because duty called for it. Admirable woman no doubt!

I remember reading about royal visits when they travel abroad and foods they're not allowed to eat etc, it really hit home that each of them are merely tenants, guarding the role until they can pass the torch to the next tenant.

Certainly not a rockstar lifestyle of the rich n famous.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE