A tomahawk from Tengu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Recently Tengu posted a swap thread for a few nice wee axes and for a change I was quick enough off the mark to get myself the little tomahawk look a like. (the original picture in the thread has changed - and I can't find the thread from the other chap who posted his restoration on here)

It was a bit on the rusty side and needed some tlc - or as I call it - special time with Andy's grinder. ;)

After a few minute is looked like this

P1000023.jpg

It's stamped 500 and what looks like "Made in Germany" - which is certainly different. I've never used a German axe as far as I know. Anybody have a clue what the history of this wee axe might be?

I ordered a new handle for it but decided against that one and instead used a handle my dad had got me a few months back.

20 minutes of shaping and sanding and it was all sorted:
P1000026.jpg

The handle is 16" over all and suited the head much better than the lambs foot style handle I had got for it. It needs a little sand down and a good coat of oil. I'm thinking a deeper colour would be nice so I might look into using a darker oil or perhaps staining it.

It still needs a good sharpen and a sheath. I might have a go at the sheath myself but in all likelihood I'll get a mate of mine to do it.

It is a nice well balanced and light axe. I like it quite a lot and it will be coming on a trip out with me as soon as possible.

Cheers
Andy

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Great job on the handle! And I have an axe head just like that! The same shape (until i grinded it to the way I liked it) and the same '500' stamp.
Good work!

paddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE