A spring wander

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i went out for a wander today and took the camera.
It was nice to see that spring is well and truly on its way,Ramsons making a show,Woodpidgeons mating,Hares in the fields.
I decided to go check out the Badgers set and see what my old friends had been upto.
So i headed into the wee wood,this pic was taken last autumn when the Cherry trees were a riot of colour.
DSCF0997800x600.jpg

Once inside the cover of the trees i slowed myself down,and tuned myself in,walking very lightly,listening to the Blue tits chattering away,watching them flit from tree to tree,passing the old broken Elder with bark peeling and Jews ear fungi decorating it,i just had to climb a small rise and i would be at the set. As i came up the slight incline,a movement caught my eye,at about 50feet infront of me stood these two.
Roe deer,a buck and a doe.
roedeer4640x480800x600.jpg

At first i thought i had been rumbled,so i had to stand stock still until they relaxed.

roedeer6640x480800x600.jpg

After staring in my direction for a few mins,they must of thought the coast was clear,as the Buck with velvet still covering his antlers,had a scratch and a bit of a nibble at some irritating biters no doubt.

roedeer7640x480800x600.jpg

roedeer11640x480800x600.jpg

Well i just kept firing the camera,i took about 20 shots. By now my calve muscles were screaming,as they caught me mid step coming up the rise,but i just stood there until they moved off into the woods,i waited for 10 mins before heading in the direction they went,so as not to startle them,when i got to where they had been standing,looking around they had just melted into the undergrowth.

I have seen quite a few deer in the past,but this was the first time i managed to capture them on camera,so well chuffed am i.

It was a great day out in the spring air.
Hope you enjoy the pics.

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent to see :D
Spring's further ahead down your way I think. Snowdrops and early crocus is all we have so far.

Thanks for sharing :)

cheers,
M

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Great photos there Stu, I'm with Prawnster, I'd have disturbed them miles away. Cheers for sharing mate

atb

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE