A simple butter knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
As a newcomer to carving I was quite pleased with my recent butter knife and thought I would share it with you.

http://photobucket.com/carve

As you can see, I went for simple rather than ornate.

Its made from holly, (there are mixed views as to its toxicity but I’d already made it before I checked this out:rolleyes:). Given the information I’ve found (BCUK archives and elsewhere), I reckon its safe for its intended purpose.

Its finished with sesame oil,

I love the distorted look of the finished item. The wood was naturally twisted, whether this is always the case with holly I do not know!

I allowed the natural twist of the wood to influence the shape of the spatula and the resulting handle is very ergonomic.

I’m still not 100% with the tip shape but I wanted neither a pointed or fully rounded end.

I was happy just to get stuck in and see what happened, Rather than design it!

Thanks for looking!

Jon

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Nice knife.
IMGP1657.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
It probably twisted as it includes the pith by the look of it.
The shape is fine and you can probably cut a bacon sandwich with it I have with the one I have made.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
It probably twisted as it includes the pith by the look of it.
The shape is fine and you can probably cut a bacon sandwich with it I have with the one I have made.

The whole thing was twisted when I carved it,
might need sharpening just a tad for bacon buttie cutting,

cheers Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE