A servingspoon and a question on technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I carved this serving spoon. It is in poplar of some sort, and I am afraid there is a crack running through the handle. (Although that isn`t the point of this thread)

2013-05-08+22.21.34.jpg

2013-05-09+20.09.28.jpg

Now I have this problem more often, but I experienced it very much on this spoon: When you carve the 'neck'-bit you need to come from two directions to follow the grain. How do you get this done without leaving a scar in the wood? I had to sand this one, and still couldn`t get everything right:

2013-05-09+20.09.48.jpg

The line that you see on the left isn`t really a scar but but that vaguer one on the right is definitely one. How do you guys go about carving this, and how do you solve this, or even better avoid it?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've never been able to avoid it altogether, and the only way I've fond to deal with it is to practice tiny delicate strokes with a hair-popping-sharp blade: The other technique I've started to learn is to use various "scrapers" to clean up "V" cut scars that I can't do with the knife. The scraping I do along the lines of a cabinet scraping technique, adapted for the in-the-field carving.

Hope this helps a little, at least..................atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Oh, forgot to add; Poplar seems to be partial to long straight splits without much encouragement, that's why they used it for making Matchsticks back in the day...........atb mac

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks mac. I have been wondering about scrapers lately. I have never seen one in use though, but I heard you can make them out of old saws. I`ll search the forum here, I suppose there is threads on them.

As to the split: I can only hope it`ll not grow bigger... :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
For the scrapers, a good starting place is different shaped pieces of broken glass with some scrap leather or suchlike as a handle at one end; you can collect all sorts of shapes to fit any akward angles and the finish on the wood is superb, much finer than you could sand or even get with a plane - the really good old cabinet makers used this trick a lot, and once you get the hang of it you can just french polish it and it's perfect, so I think it's ok for my feeble spoons!

As for the split, I wouldn't hesitate to use glue to save it.............................atb mac

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I learn so much here. Right, tomorrow I`ll find some shards (or make some when swmbo doesn`t watch) And it seems like I need to get me some superglue. It is always the same here: when I need it the only tube available is dried up.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I like the shape of that scraper. There must always be a part of the curve fitting the work. First I`ll try the glass-idea, but if I don`t get along with it...may I ask where you got it?

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I like the shape of that scraper. There must always be a part of the curve fitting the work. First I`ll try the glass-idea, but if I don`t get along with it...may I ask where you got it?

I got mine from Axminster, it wa only few quid as I recall.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It's all about technique. when you are coming both ways and meeting at a valley bottom like that the tendency is to overwork it and end with a V shaped valley botto. What you want is a wide U shape with a flat valley bottom so next time you are struggling instead of picking at the bottom of the valley work on the area either side making sude you rock up out of the cut well before you get tot he valley bottom. Do several cuts each side and eventually you will get tot he place where the knife can hit the valley bottom whilst it is running paralel to the grain and you get a lovely sweeping clean cut. It's a lot easier to teach that to write.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
That is indeed exactly what happened. To clean up one cut I`d make another resulting in a deeper and deeper valley, while at no point it was scar free. i think I understand the technique you explain, and I`ll be sure to apply it on the next spoon. Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE