A second kuksa, and this time no cracks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
I worked out another kuksa, this time taking into consideration some of my mistakes from my first. I carved this one in about half the time to minimize drying and checking and the walls are much thinner and more uniform (about 4mm all around). The finish is straight off the knife and it's had a good long soak in linseed oil that really brought out the spalting. And this one even has a reasonably sized handle instead of a nubbin. :) Still more to learn but I like the looks of this one. More description and higher resolution photos at my blog.

2kuksa1.jpg

2kuksa2.jpg

2kuksa3.jpg

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
Just a frosts hook knife, though most of the hollowing was done with an Ashley Iles curved gouge. I've got an order in for a Svante Djarv large hook and I'm really interested in trying out one of those long-handled hook knives tied to a sling around the neck (Niklas Karlsson aka ahardslojdlife uses one), they look really useful for larger hollows.

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
It's spalted black birch, but I cut pretty low down on the tree by the roots so it has a little bit of figure to it. It's very hard in spite of the spalting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE