A Quest For Basswood (very picture heavy)

A couple of days ago I read a piece on the hand-drill fire starting method somewhere and watched a video the poster did using a Mullein stalk for the spindle and Basswood (I hear it's called lime in Britain) for the hearth board. He got a coal really quickly and I have been wanting to do the the hand-drill method for some time now myself. I do know for sure that we have Mullein here, but it hasn't come up yet....I know. I keep watching and waiting as I have been studying this all winter and waiting for the chance to try it. Since I already know where the Mullein grows...I thought it best that I learn to identify Basswood trees in the wild and locate some while I am waiting on the Mullein. Yesterday was primarily a hunt for Basswood, and I'm pretty sure I've found some, but it was also a pretty nice day out in the woods.

I went to a 3 mile loop off of a section of the Cumberland trail that I've spent a lot of time hiking on. The loop is only about 3 miles long if you stay on the trail, but when you're constantly walking off of the trail looking up at the leaves of the surrounding trees that distance can easily double. I thought this would be a good place to start since the varying terrain types along that part offers a pretty good cross-section of most of the plants common too this area. The temp was great and the sky was clear. There are a lot of cool rock formations here.

IMG_6811.jpg

IMG_6815.jpg

IMG_6816.jpg

IMG_6817.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6826.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

And you see more things when you are actually looking up a lot, studying the shapes of all the leaves. These two pics aren't as good as I wish they were but I liked them anyway. This spider web is horizontal. The breeze was living it just enough sometimes to catch the sunlight, when it was down is was in shadow and nearly impossible to see. I was about fifteen feet over from me as the base of these rocks has a slope to it, and it was about 30 feet up. The range, constant movement, and bright reflection off the web made for a challenging photo for the camera I had on me.

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

It is a winding trail that crosses several streams with some larger than others, and for the most part under a tall shady canopy.

IMG_6839.jpg

IMG_6836.jpg

IMG_6829.jpg

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

IMG_6821.jpg

IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6883.jpg

IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6889.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

I came upon an old friend. A very old Cottonwood Tree down along side Bee Branch. A tree I have always enjoyed sitting against and resting there, just listening to the babble of the water and the birds. The tree is pretty tall, and I left my pack sitting next to it's base for some perspective.

IMG_6885.jpg

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

There were several spider webs glowing in the sunlight breaking through small holes in the canopy. There will be fewer of those holes as the summer comes on.

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

I did notice that something has been effecting the Hemlocks, some of them had several holes about 3/8 inch in diameter in them.

IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

There were several that had fallen some time back. It is interesting to note that. Hemlock produces hard knots at the base of the limbs just like pine trees, but they aren't filled will flammable resin that will take a spark. However they still don't seem to absorb water. I pulled one out of an otherwise soaking wet mass of punk wood, beat the wet rotten wood off of the hard knot and tried it for fire starting uses. The shavings from the core of it would not take a spark from a fire steel, but were dry enough to light with a flame.

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6861.jpg

I found this plant I want to I.D.

IMG_6818.jpg

Then this little fellow kept fluttering around me in a clearing.

IMG_6805.jpg

There are lots of mosses in the mountains here.

IMG_6847.jpg

There were several types of fungi out. Some I've never noticed before...and some were rather large.

IMG_6842.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg

IMG_6865.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg

IMG_6667.jpg

As for the Basswood I was looking for I do believe I've found some. It sure looks like the leaves and trunks I've seen of young trees in the pictures I've found on-line. Anyone one here familiar with it and know for sure one way or another from these pictures?

Now that I'm pretty sure it's in the local area it's time to find some larger trees so I can harvest some pieces big enough to fashion a hearth board from.

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6890.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

And then this little guy was on the sidewalk when I got back to my truck. It was a nice exhausting hike, I really enjoyed it and I hope you guys did too.

Last edited:

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting.
It looks like you found what you were looking for.

Maybe the holes in the hemlock are made by a sapsucker? Edit: I´m not quite sure, the wikipedia picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapsucker) shows a more regular pattern.

Your second fungus is not a fungus! I think it´s a kind of ´broomrape´(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broomrape). These are parasitic flowering plants that lack chlorophyll (hence the yellowish colour) so they depend on other plants for their nutrients. Each species is specialized in a specific host.

Cheers,

Tom

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting.
It looks like you found what you were looking for.

Maybe the holes in the hemlock are made by a sapsucker? Edit: I´m not quite sure, the wikipedia picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapsucker) shows a more regular pattern.

Your second fungus is not a fungus! I think it´s a kind of ´broomrape´(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broomrape). These are parasitic flowering plants that lack chlorophyll (hence the yellowish colour) so they depend on other plants for their nutrients. Each species is specialized in a specific host.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you Tom, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics!

I appreciate that information a few of my friends have seen them lately too and none of us knew what they were. The common consensus on the holes in the Hemlock is sapsuckers...the bark may not allow for a regular pattern...

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE