A nice paddle on Ullswater

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I managed to grab a day out in the boat today, I met up with Rancid Badger at Ullswater where we were treated to lovely calm conditions and almost had the lake to ourselves. The pics aren't very exciting but I thought I'd share them anyway.

I slept through my alarm at 05:30, waking up just after six I skipped the shower, got my gear together and was on the road for half past. The drive up was very quiet, I was treated to a stunning sunrise to my right but the left looked gloomy and typical of the Lakes, after a bit of fog and drizzle over the A66 I dropped down to dry but cloudy Penrith. By 08:30 I was at Ullswater.

An empty boat makes for easy paddling in calm conditions

Geese heading north

Steve arrived a little after me, he got loaded up and we set off for a loop around the lake

First brew stop

Almost mirror like

Coming into Silver bay we were treated to a low flying Hercules, I'd just put my camera away and completely missed it, the pilot gave us a wave though.

And back to the put in

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great photos mate! We paddle ullswater a lot, some good spots around that area :). Thanks for posting them!

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Looks like a superb day - what are the opportunities for camping around the edges? It is a long time since I have been up there and I am usually walking rather than paddling so any news is news to me!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks so peaceful :D beautiful too :D Lovely bit of the world, and Hercules apart it doesn't look like there were many folks about either.

Thank you for the tale and the photos :cool:

cheers,
M

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
You're making me very jealous Rich, I've only managed to get out a couple of times this year.

Talking about Hercules' though, I've had a couple of good experiences with them. The first one was on the Falklands, I was just topping out on a crag on the Two Sisters when I was faced with a very low flying Hercules seemingly heading straight for me. I ducked back down onto the top holds of the climb and, looking up, saw it fly over at about 50' above me. I hadn't heard it because the crag was facing the same direction that it was flying, and there was the usual Falklands half a gale blowing.
The other time was in my canoe on Derwentwater. I watched a low flying herc thread the Jaws of Borrowdale, and descend as it headed towards the lake. As it flew over me, the water started leaping up and down about 6" in thousands of tiny wavelets, and my chest felt like I was standing in front of the speakers at Glastonbury.

Cheers, Michael.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
The other time was in my canoe on Derwentwater. I watched a low flying herc thread the Jaws of Borrowdale, and descend as it headed towards the lake. As it flew over me, the water started leaping up and down about 6" in thousands of tiny wavelets, and my chest felt like I was standing in front of the speakers at Glastonbury.

I was fishing on Loch Achall near Ullapool once, me and my dad were having a fishing trip of the sort we never did when I was a kid. Glanced up in time to see three Tornadoes bearing down on us in similar fashion - the lead pilot gave a little nod (or so it seemed to me at the time) and I just had time to put my fingers in my ears and open my mouth before they were over us, leaving hot air and a stink of JET-A behind them. My dad, who was facing me and didn't see or hear them coming - presumably they were close to supersonic - had such a fright he nearly leaped out of the boat.

Looks a lovely day on Ullswater, you had it to yourselves by the look of it. Perfect camping spot though would probably draw outraged landowners down upon your head.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like a superb day - what are the opportunities for camping around the edges? It is a long time since I have been up there and I am usually walking rather than paddling so any news is news to me!

There looks to be some good options for camping but you have the path running all the way down. I know some folk who've camp at Silver bay and have been visited by rangers.

You're making me very jealous Rich, I've only managed to get out a couple of times this year.

Talking about Hercules' though, I've had a couple of good experiences with them. The first one was on the Falklands, I was just topping out on a crag on the Two Sisters when I was faced with a very low flying Hercules seemingly heading straight for me. I ducked back down onto the top holds of the climb and, looking up, saw it fly over at about 50' above me. I hadn't heard it because the crag was facing the same direction that it was flying, and there was the usual Falklands half a gale blowing.

Cheers, Michael.

Steve had only been talking about them ten minutes earlier and then one appears over Silver Bay, it was banked over and silent like you said until it passed us

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I got home last night, soundly worn out!:eek:

It's the first time in a good few months, that I've been able to motivate myself to get my act together and go any further than Hexham for a paddle. :rolleyes:

I'd been delayed coming over Hartside Pass, by some of the thickest fog I've seen in years and a stop for the loo, at the "Little Chef" at Penrith. A journey that normally takes me about an hour and a half'ish, took almost two and a half but I arrived, to find Rich all sorted and waiting by the lake.

I got sorted out, loaded up ( I tend to always carry a bit much kit to be honest, :eek:but I look at it as, "training" :rolleyes:) and we set off, onto an almost mirror calm lake.

it was a bit gray but there were odd spots of blue sky trying to poke through now and then and although it wasn't exactly warm it wasn't too cold either, in fact probably ideal paddling conditions.

Not the tidiest boat in the world, "a place for everything and everything chucked in any old how":eek:

Well not that bad, but once We got going, I had to strip my fleece off and the camera stayed out ready for use, rather than stuffed away. I should really have put my fleece in the drybag but I thought I might need to put in back on in short order so left it handy!;) The two red poles were definitely not required,as they are used either for rigging a sail or connected together for negotiating shallow water by pushing the boat along (among other things). I had kind of hoped there might be a bit of useable wind at some point during the day but regardless, I couldn't leave the poles in the car, so they had to come along on the trip.:rolleyes:

It was quiet with only a few dinghies, a big rowing/sailing boat from the Outward Bound School, one of the Lake "Steamers"

and a tandem inflatable, that Rich had spotted earlier, pottering about.

The couple paddling the inflatable were very pleasant and jolly, passing with a "Hello there, lovely day" etc. They were using proper, single blade paddles, so they were all right in my book!:cool:

The path on the East shore can get a bit busy sometimes, but it's normally fairly quiet, this time of year. Thought this bunch might have been dropped off by the steamer at Howtown, after coming up from Glenridding, to walk back down.

One of the lad's stopped to ask us a few questions about the boats and where, if possible, they could hire canoes. I knew of only one set up on Ullswater, which is Waterside Farm Campsite, up towards Pooley Bridge. I don't think they were thinking of trying it any time too soon, but maybe next summer.

Anyway, We'd pulled in at Kailpot Crag,for a brew stop and Rich got the Kelly going;

A bit of birch bark soon had it belting away.

I normally carry my Kelly as well but this time I was using my "Thermos Work" flask, a really good quality and effective flask. I'd filled it the previous night and the contents were still far too hot to drink, a good 12 hrs later. Indeed, I only finally emptied the flask this morning and it's still warm enough to drink. I was also carrying a bluet stove, spare gas canister and brew kit, "just in case".

There's a natural "harbour" of sorts at Kailpot, making it ideal for canoes.

Rich's "Bob Special" from Nova Craft

A boat with beautiful traditional lines and a joy to behold on the water.

My, "Reflection 15" from Mad River.

A boat designed for the same or similar paddling as Rich's, but with more "modern" lines.( I'm kind of wishing I'd hung on a bit and bought a "Bob" now!:rolleyes:)

Anyway we spent a while at Kailpot then carried on down the lake, chattering away about this and that, heading towards Silver Bay.

Silver Bay is the bracken covered feature to the right of the picture here.

As Rich has mentioned, we'd been talking about the birds and whatnot that you often see above or on the lake and I happened to mention a few close encounters with aircraft, low flying etc. Then as Rich says, about 10 minutes later, as I was just idly following him, and videoing our progress, Rich gave a shout and there she was!
[video=youtube;e5VJjOMFk6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5VJjOMFk6E[/video]
The video is unedited and it's literally only the last few seconds that show the Hercules, but it gives a nice idea of how peaceful the day was anyway. It's amazing how excited I still get when these things happen, in spite of having been involved with all sorts of military "stuff" over the last 30 years!:rolleyes:

Here's a few stills taken from the video:

She was nowhere near as low as the last one I'd seen, doing the exact same route earlier in the year. That one, had caused disturbance on the water surface as she went!:umbrella:

Anyway we stopped at Silver Bay for a little while, then cut across toward the western side, did a run around "Norfolk Island" and then set off back to the cars, as time was passing and the sun was beginning to go down.

If our final destination had been something like this;

I'd have been quite contented;)

As it was, we got back to the cars, loaded up and said our goodbyes.

It really was a cracking day, a "really good for the soul" kind of outing, even if it was just a last minute day trip. It was great to finally meet up with you Rich and I hope we can get together again in future, possibly for something up in Scotland next year maybe?:)

Thanks again for making the effort join me at such short notice;)

best wishes

Steve

Last edited:

1 shot willie

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2012
DEVON
What an awesome day on the water, stunning location and perfect for a paddle.
The type of day you wish would last and last, as you say, good for the soul.

Enjoyed the post, pictures, and video, thank you for sharing your wonderful day.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Nice paddle although the last time I took my open there I didn't get on the water for the 3 days I was there. Had a similar herc experience on loch Ness which was brilliant

Andy

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I used to stand on the various fells above the Lakes, watching people pottering about in open canoes (kayaks have never had the same appeal for me) and think, "I could go for that". I had the odd dabble with watercraft, while with the T.A. and later on, when instructing with the A.C.F. but never got to paddle an open canoe. Then one year(2008) I decided to hire a canoe on Derwentwater, from "Platty+" and that was it!

I'm onto my 7th boat now and have finally found one that suits me, and the sort of paddling I want to do. It's light enough, to be able to cartop etc, on my own if required. It's designed for open water/lakes/lochs. I can sail it, paddle it or pole it and it's lively and responsive, oh and it's not too badly affected by the wind.

Anyone thinking about an open canoe, could do a lot worse than hire one in the spring or summer, just to see how they get on. If you pay a little extra and get a couple of hours paddling instruction, then you'll find it's worth every penny and will make your paddling a real pleasure without the hassle of trying to figure out how to steer etc.

Seriously, if you've been thinking about it, go for it!

cheers

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE