A little leather care advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I was brought a nice leather hand made belt for Christmas for bushcraft. to keep it in good condition what do I used to treat the leather with and how often? Same goes for a leather knife sheath I got.
2ybete8u.jpg
ahu7usyp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
This is how I treat my gear. Disclaimer: I don't claim it to be the best not even the right thing but still it works for me. ;)
Leather belt I usually leave as is unless it's used as outer wear (exposed to weather).
As for sheaths I threat the the same as leather boots, protect them with a home-made paraffinvax, beeswax and linseed oil mix (shoevax?), it keeps them nice and waterproof.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Don't treat the belt, but use it often... leather belts don't like laying around.

I apply a thin coat of hydrophane darkening oil to my other leather stuff once a year or if it needs it.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Thankyou very much that's put my mind at rest. I just wanted them to last me a long long time. Where is the best place to buy the darkening solution and beeswax etc do you know a cheep retailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Most horse grooming suppliers, amazon, horse stables often have a shop... basically anywhere that also sells leather goods for our equine friends.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've used Kiwi shoe polish, Baseball glove oil, olive oil, Saddle oils, etc. All work well enough; but the olive oil will go off after a while, and the shoe polish doesn't penetrate an oil finished leather. All of the oils will darken the leather.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya.....nice to see you care for your gifts but i think you may be worrying too much my friend.....

belt...leave it....i've a merriweather firemns belt here thats 120 years old and its absolutely lovely in the state its in....it hasnt been treated with ANYTHING for decades.

as for the sheath.....i'd say the same really....i've sheaths here i made for myself that have been out with me in every condition and theyve aged beautifully....all i would ever do is give one a wipe over with a dab of fiebings antique medium brown finish then buff it up....as a complete newbie i would say that you trying to mix home made concoctions is not a good idea. a jar of this will last you years:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIEBINGS-...UK_Crafts_Leathercraft_LE&hash=item1e73f9f871

if your leatherwork was cracking, rigid stiff, rare/valuable, dry, old, worn i'd give different advice but in my opinion people are dazzled by too much product too many methods and too much hearsay....

really....no offence to anyone but i really dont think you need to do anything to them whatsoever for probably many many years.

regards

s

ps....i would not advise using chemicals on leatherwork unless youve contacted the person who made it. say for instance it had been coated in resolene....much of the above advice would totally mess your leather up. i see the belt is by shark designs....i would advise contacting mark hordon.

pps....sorry, i'm really not trying to upset anyone...but i'd recommend a deeper sheath too....

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
ps....i would not advise using chemicals on leatherwork unless youve contacted the person who made it. say for instance it had been coated in resolene....much of the above advice would totally mess your leather up. i see the belt is by shark designs....i would advise contacting mark hordon.

Plus one on the above.

Topknot

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Take care that whatever you use on the belt doesn't stain clothing. My bike leathers have been fine with "Mars Oil" for over 15 years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE