a little friend has returned

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We made him quite a few years ago and he returns this time of year every year ...
IMG_5708.jpg

"The Great Kinder Beer Barrel Challenge" was thought up by a couple of local guys when they were down the pub one evening and the beer went off. They discussed how far it would be to get another barrel from another pub and decided technically the closest was the Snake Pass Inn. In their drunken state they decided it would be fun to carry a barrel of beer from one pub to the other as a fund raiser for the local school and before they sobered up it was organised so they couldn't get out of it!

It has now evolved into a race with usually about six or eight teams running the five miles between the pubs carrying a barrel full of water so as not to waste good beer. That might not sound far, but it involves a long and evil climb up onto Kinder Scout, a short and very boggy wade through the peat on the top, then a lunatic hurtle down an impossible steep slope into Edale. Fast teams do it in just under an hour, slower ones take up to 2 hours.

The outright winners win a barrel of beer and the fastest local team win our little oak barrel on legs trophy. He comes back to us so I can write the winning team's name on the base and the rest of the year he lives behind the bar at the Nags.

Cute, isn't he?!
Nicola

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You're all mental!

No. They show some signs of sanity....n ot much I know but there is some glimmers of it there Spam

It has now evolved into a race with usually about six or eight teams running the five miles between the pubs carrying a barrel full of water so as not to waste good beer.

If they were really insane they'd have beer in there. If they were totally sane they'd have beer in there and drink it dry by the time they get to the other pub :D

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Very cute Nichola, whens the race wouldn't mind coming to watch?
Sorry, it was last weekend. Next year I'll try to post in advance of the race as it's quite fun to watch and it turns into quite a party down the pub afterwards with various bands playing.
If they were totally sane they'd have beer in there and drink it dry by the time they get to the other pub
Quite a few of the local lads and pub teams sink a few pints before they start and some of them have to stop for cigarette breaks on the way over :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's one of those singularly pubbish type 'sports' that make life fun :D
Knackering for a day, bruises for a week and gossip for years :rolleyes:
That's a heckofa hike, and turning it into a race :eek:
I like it, :approve: and the barrel is just 'right' :D

cheers,
Toddy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's one of those singularly pubbish type 'sports' that make life fun :D
Knackering for a day, bruises for a week and gossip for years :rolleyes:
That's a heckofa hike, and turning it into a race :eek:
I like it, :approve: and the barrel is just 'right' :D

cheers,
Toddy

I gave it a miss this year but ran the last 2. From the start it feels like you go up about 45 degrees for half a mile, by the time you get to the plateau everyone is beat. I decided to give it a miss this year as I had a busy week and last year it took me more than a week to get over it, going downstairs the next day was quite painful. Maybe next year we should have a BCUK team any other nutters out there?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I gave it a miss this year but ran the last 2. From the start it feels like you go up about 45 degrees for half a mile, by the time you get to the plateau everyone is beat. I decided to give it a miss this year as I had a busy week and last year it took me more than a week to get over it, going downstairs the next day was quite painful. Maybe next year we should have a BCUK team any other nutters out there?

Yep i reckon a BCUK team i'd be up for it.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE