A little bit of anthropology...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
It became commonplace to quote the anthropologist Carleton S. Coon, "we and our ancestors are the same people". It sounds nice, but what he meant at the time is very different from what bushcrafters suppose it means. I agree that we and the ancient man are the same. We are (or can be) trackers, hunters, medicine men, storytellers, teachers, explorers.
But Coon held the position that the "races" evolved independently into homo sapiens. He claimed that the european "race" was the pinnacle of human evolution. His ideas helped to provide strenght for racism in the US, even being used to suggest that the US Black population was inferior, and thus shouldn't participate in the political life of the country.
So what he meant by "we and our ancestors are the same people" implied that some ancestors are better than others, more than it implied what is understood in the bushcraft context (i.e., that we share what we are, our being, with the ancient man).
For the curious at heart, a little more can be learnt about Coon on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton_S._Coon
It is a shame. I really like the quote.
All the best,
Luciano

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE