A leuku for jackob in Denmark.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
a couple of months ago my friend and knife collector jackob from Denmark sent me 2 rare leuku blades and said he wanted one handled for him ans by way of payment he let me have the other one for myself.
From the start i knew this being my first Leuku it would have to be good using only the finest ingrediends i trawled through a thousand images online of historic and modern leuku knives and settled on a traditional shape for the handles,next having a very usefull contact in the briar root world i contacted juan in north east spain and asked him for a favour,i said i would make him a knife using his briar in return for a block for my own use,he agreed and sent me 3 pieces of his finest briar with a value of over 130 euro per piece,next i wanted a big chunk of moose crown for the bolster of the knife,again after a good few days searching i found a chap with some European moose antler who for a hefty price sold me a piece.
next all i had to do was drill and file the wood and antler into shape glue up and then sand for 5 hours,finally oiling and polishing,all i have left to do is to polish in the morning and then make the leather sheath.
Heres some pics of the project:

DSC04028.jpg

DSC04031.jpg

DSC04040_zps4150b1a4.jpg

DSC04041_zps5210ebf4.jpg

by the way its bloomin sharp!lol

DSC04044_zpse892a114.jpg

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Very nice, loving the briar! Always been tempted to do a leuku, they look handy. Why does the inside of the cob look pristine?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
That handle shape looks great Justin. So this is one of two, is the other going to be the same?

i would be very happy if i can make mine similar,i have a big piece of mammoth ivory in a box waiting for a nice project! but then i have 2 racks of elk antler here full of nice bits too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE