A last minute overnighter in a local spot

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hardly a worthy trip report but what the heck. I was sat watching TV at 9 oclock last night and saw my car out the front was starting to freeze. I decided it would be a fun idea to grab some kit and sleep in the garden. Any opportunity for a bit of cold weather kit testing cant be passed up and although it wasnt going to be super cold, a night under the stars appealed.

I grabbed my jerven, elite 4 bag and kip mat and headed for the garden. I also took my new ibutton gizmo. Clothing was a set of aldi merinos, helsport bivvy boots, wool beanie and a sleeka jacket.

I got into my bag and lay there on fire for the first hour watching the stars. Id been wondering about the value of my jerven bag as ive not felt particularly warm when using it coupled with my elite 4 or down bag. i think ive been using it incorrectly. This time i zipped it all the way up and then undid just enough to provide air. I slept like a log until my daughter woke me at 6.30am.

looking down at the bag it was clear where the heat had been retained by my body and where it hadnt

20121206_063433.jpg

It was an unremarkable night in the garden but i do have a little more confidence in my kit. It was my first time using the bivvy boots too and these were magnificent. my feet were super toasty. Here are the ibutton readings for the night

GardenBivvy.jpg

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
I've just worked all through th night. -3 was the lowest in brissle. Actually found some fully formed ice on a few puddles. Bravo.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Paul, where was it on the Jervens that wasnt frozen?
Was it where your body had been, also how was the condensation inside it this
morning.
Last time i used mine i had quite a lot of damp patches mainly around my legs.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I reckon after Xmas I'm gonna follow your lead mate and do a few chilly nights in the back yard jungle!!

I'm glad the elite 4 worked out, still can't decide whether its worth the extra weight and get the elite 5!!

Leave only footprints take only memories

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
A good little test for your kit!

I keep looking at the exped down mats, I take it you would recommend one?

Am I right in thinking the Jerven isn't breathable? Do you ever find condensation a problem?

Matt

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
A good little test for your kit!

I keep looking at the exped down mats, I take it you would recommend one?

Am I right in thinking the Jerven isn't breathable? Do you ever find condensation a problem?

Matt

I have 3 exped mats and rate them highly. The level of comfort and warmth is stunning. The ultralight down is about 600g so its not too much of a lump either. The jerven will suffer with condensation if you breath inside it but ive adapted so my head sticks out a little and i dont have any problems. I always air it well before packing but even so it needs a fabreeze every so often. 2kg is heavy for what is essentially a giant bivvy bag but it is multi use so i can warrant it. I was underwhelmed with it to begin with but its slowly growing on me and its real worth will come on trips overseas to the snow and real cold

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
With the Jervens its not just a matter of not breathing into it, any sweat that escapes will condense inside due to it not being breathable. My issue was damp patches down by my legs, i sleep with my head out otherwise i find i cannot breath.

Im going to the Northwood meet this month and im leaving mine at home and taking my issue bivvybag combined with an arctic bag.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply, 3?! They do look good so i guess I don't blame you! I'll keep my eye out for one, i'll probably find one just in time for summer :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I'd get any use out of one but the Jervens do look quite versatile, just been having a look on youtube and some chap managed to set one up as a hammock! He did also seal himself fully inside it though which can't be a good idea?!

Back to the garden tonight?!

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE