A knotty problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi All,

I am making a bamboo stand for my canoe and have knot problem. I want to lash a T e.g. a horizontal platform at right angles on top a vertical post.

I cannot find any pictures or instructions on how to do this type of lashing.

Hope you can help.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Try a "Square lashing" as the scouts call it

Would be difficult to describe but may give you a search for Google

Simple enough but may be a bit on the slippery side on bamboo!

Hope this helps!

[Edit: Try this.. hope it helps]

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Thanks Pignut, I know the square but I cannot use it as I have do not have a north I have cut a pocket in horizontal and the post sits in it. I know that I could knock a horizontal peg in the post and lash that against the horizontal but I wanted to use that as a last resort.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
clcuckow said:
Hi All,

I am making a bamboo stand for my canoe and have knot problem. I want to lash a T e.g. a horizontal platform at right angles on top a vertical post.

I cannot find any pictures or instructions on how to do this type of lashing.

Hope you can help.

"On top"...as in directly across the end, I suppose.

Hmm.

If it was "across", then you would have enough of a upstand, to do a "Square lashing" as already given ( often called a "Transom lashing.").

But, "on top", means that whatever lashing you use, would be subject to rotational instability in the long axis.

If you could minimise this, by afixing 2 short stubs below the top spar and then, using these stubs to run stays each side of the spar, (thats 4 in all), then , turn all tight with a spanish windlass, maybe you could reduce the rotation....but I rather think that by the time these preventers were sufficiently tight, you would,ve bent the top spar.
Alternatively, "fab -up" a couple of shoulders, like shelf brackets, lash them to each other, around the upright, below where the spar is to be( you would also need to set the brackets on a good collar)...then lash the spar down atop the brackets.

Or
The easiest and least long winded, but far less interesting...is to square lash the stub bars .

However, if you are using two uprights, one at each end of the canoe, the you could easily stop the rotation, by cross guying the spars to a , fixed point tween the two, preferably low down.

Ceeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE