A Hoochie challenge.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Here's a small mental challenge for all you hoochie owners. Your in a forrest and have no cord at all, all you have is 2 zip ties, an axe, a knife and your hoochie. Can you devise a way of pitching the hoochie to give you shelter without using cord.

Yes it can be done. :-D

Simon

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
might need a bit more info on that mate,
i'm sure some of the guys here would just go build a whole shelter out of wood and then covering with the hoochi would just be an added bonus.

What's involved in your "method" ? 2 tress? sapplings etc?

Could probablly make a cheeky lean-to between 2 trees, zip tie the top corners, and then stake out the back with improvised stakes.

I dunno :)

Cheers
Carlo

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Cut two stick (3 foot long old money, 1 meter new money). Then cut a handful of stakes and pitch it "A" tent style. Or I could use rocks on the tapes that come off the edge of the sheet to hold them down.

That way I get to keep the zip ties! :-D

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'd look for two saplings that could be bent down and tie wrapped - one to each end of the centre (ridge) seam to hold the whole thing up and taught. Trim some twigs to peg down the two long edges making a classic tent shape. No need for A frames. It all depends on finding saplings the right distance apart and orientation though. Don't fancy a through draught ! V handy tie wraps, also for making emergency repairs to mountain bikes, packs, you name it. The strong 12" size.
Cheers,

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Here's what I was thinking.

Cut 2 poles 3 feet in length and put into the groung vertically, a bit wider than your hooche loops. Cut 2 more poles 8 feet in length and slide the loops over the poles 1 down each side. Now zip tie 1 long pole and 1 short 1 togther and repeat for the other side.

You now have a shelter albeit a low 1.

Simon

Scott

Jan 2, 2004
Coventry, UK
Celtic Dragon said:
Here's a small mental challenge for all you hoochie owners. Your in a forrest and have no cord at all, all you have is 2 zip ties, an axe, a knife and your hoochie. Can you devise a way of pitching the hoochie to give you shelter without using cord.

Yes it can be done. :-D

Simon

Cut 3 hazel (Or similar) wands and bend over and dig into the ground to make hoops, drape the hootchie over and secure to the ground with wooden pegs. I can then use the zip ties for something else!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE