A Gyspen...

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
...Was a 16th Century small leather drinking vessel. I am not a big beer drinker but I do enjoy the odd beer now and again, such as this Hobgobblin.

I thought it would taste even better in a traditional leather "mug" accompanied by the smell of beeswax :)

That's the bits of leather needed to make the Gyspen.
The round bottom is wet moulded on a soft wood former, the nylon electric ties holding the shape while drying. The handle sides are also wet moulded and clamped into shape and left to dry.

The handle sides and inserts are saddle stitched together first, with strong linen thread. Then the bottom and welt are inserted, and hand sewn. When the stitching is finished, I dyed the exterior of the Gyspen brown and let it dry well.
Finally I heated some beeswax in a double pan. I did not have quite enough space to entirely dip the Gyspen in the wax, which would have been the easier option so I filled it full of hot wax just long enough for the bubble to stop coming, the dipped in and poured wax as well I could. Finally, a heat gun finalised the waxing.

DSCN1381.jpg

The end result. I am very pleased with it. As it is the first one I have made, I left it very simple to iron out the basics, shape, sewing, waxing. Next ones will have some decorations carved on the leather :)
DSCN1382.jpg

DSCN1383.jpg

Oh, and unlike Black Sheep, I waited for SWMBO to be in London before I did the waxing...:thinkerg:
Cheers...!
happy23.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Showing your usual attention to detail there :approve:
That looks *right* :cool:

"Oh, and unlike Black Sheep, I waited for SWMBO to be in London before I did the waxing...:thinkerg: "

Smart man :D

cheers,
Toddy

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thank you all! I am all for taking the coward's way and not stir trouble for myself.:D

This is the other mug I am making. I am going to try and make this one into a tutorial (of sorts).

Sorry the pics is not too good.
DSCN1400.jpg

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Nice shapes and forms jojo.
Do the mugs need re waxing now and again, like how you reproof barbour jackets etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE