A guide to winter motorcycle riding (in seriously cold conditions)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
particularly interested in this tip - using a snowball as a firelighter..............Anyone tried it?

When trying to start a fire in a pile of damp wood, use petrol! BUT the trick is to make a proper fist sized snowball, and soak it in petrol WELL AWAY from the fire area, and place under the twigs/small stuff. (Please make sure you are well dry of petrol before lighting it). The snowball will burn with a sensible flame for a minute or so. Easily enough to get a fire going.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Great link cheers, I'm currently thinking of getting a bike, purely because I was talking to a guy today from marshals in Peterborough an this particular Honda 700 Would do 80mpg which for me for work would be amazing!!

What I am wondering though is what people wear in winter or if its raining now a days? When I was 16 on my moped I just used cheap as chips waterproof too and trousers but they were rubbish.
Cheers
Steve

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
None of the above, I'm afraid! Although there is one Andy - again not me - who has a habit of doing these winter rallies on a Honda C-90..............

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Just be aware that the white stuff on the road is probably salt, lots of it! Knew someone who went, was going along really slow as the road was very white and looked very icy. All the Germans were racing past at twice the speed giving him odd looks, he just thought 'Crazy Germans' and carried on going slow. Gets to site and they recognize him as his leather is distinctive and say 'hey stupid english man! White stuff on road is salt!

They had Teepees with fires in too. He said he felt so unprepared!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Great link cheers, I'm currently thinking of getting a bike, purely because I was talking to a guy today from marshals in Peterborough an this particular Honda 700 Would do 80mpg which for me for work would be amazing!!

What I am wondering though is what people wear in winter or if its raining now a days? When I was 16 on my moped I just used cheap as chips waterproof too and trousers but they were rubbish.
Cheers
Steve

Bike gear is pretty amazing nowadays, and you don't have to pay the earth to get decent clobber. Check out Ride magazine for their best buy articles. Personally, in winter I would thoroughly recommend a heated waistcoat and gloves (in handlebar muffs in really cold weather!) I still use Widder heated waistcoat and gloves, but they stopped production years ago. Gerbing do some great heated gear I believe, along with a number of others.

Oh, and don't forget the boots. Key criteria - protective, waterproof and warm! Worth paying the extra for these.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Interesting stuff :) A quick flick through the linky has me persuaded not to revisit year round biking again but tis passed on to my son who is having great fun getting frozen while he donuts around the country lanes :) The joys of youth, often better seen through the rosetinted specs of twenty years eh ;)

Apr 23, 2012
oslo, norway
Andy BB
Bike gear is pretty amazing nowadays, and you don't have to pay the earth to get decent clobber. Check out Ride magazine for their best buy articles. Personally, in winter I would thoroughly recommend a heated waistcoat and gloves (in handlebar muffs in really cold weather!) I still use Widder heated waistcoat and gloves, but they stopped production years ago. Gerbing do some great heated gear I believe, along with a number of others.

My experience, with snowscooters and motorbikes, is that electricly heated clothing is dependant on a constant supply of electricity, and you cannot move away from your vehicle, or turn the motor off.
Should you have a short circuit or break in the wiring/ plug you are going to get very cold very quickly.
Commuting in the UK this is probably not a big problem, long distance and/or harsh conditions will soon introduce you to hypothermia, and you dont want to go there.
The Primus Rally, 22-24 februar, is a good venue to test your gear.
Peter, in Oslo

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
True enough there, windbreaker! A few years ago, on the way to the Elefantentreffen, I hit freezing rain/sleet/hail the whole trip (there, sidetrip via Luxembourg and holland/Belgium then back to UK). My electric gloves packed up after a few hours through water penetration, as did my other three pairs of supposedly waterproof gloves! Having said that, my electric waistcoat survived the whole trip, keeping my core warm and my extremities free from the worst of the cold. To be fair though, I was probably only ever an hour or so away from a service stop or garage, so not quite the same as a northern Norway or Alaskan trip in winter. For UK conditions though I'd still recommend electric gear under a decent waterproof oversuit - makes the nasty conditions so much easier to cope with, and the important bonus of keeping you more alert. Nothing worse than slowly slipping into borderline hypothermia on a long winter ride without actually realising it, particularly on two wheels (and that is the voice of someone who's been there, done that!

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
And to get my two pennorth in I find two strokes much easier to start in the winter than four strokes. Heaving all that oil about makes hard work for leg or battery.

The Polish Army Lavuu makes a great winter tent on the bike, especially in the snow, though I could do with a better groundsheet.

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
Ridden all year round in all weather for the last 10 years or so. Tips:

Allow a lot more time - take it easy.
Pin lock visors are awesome - they don't mist up.
Good tyres.
Heated grips.
Enjoy it.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I never learn't to drive a car, pretty reliant on the 'bike- decent grippy tyres with decent tread are a definite must for winter riding- amazing how much difference good tyres make in the snow

cheers

Joab

Ridden all year round in all weather for the last 10 years or so. Tips:

Allow a lot more time - take it easy.
Pin lock visors are awesome - they don't mist up.
Good tyres.
Heated grips.
Enjoy it.

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
Iv been riding all year round for almost 30years now. Good tips from HH and Unclebob. I'll just say DONT put sticky race tyres on as they never get enough heat in them and are a nightmare when its cold and wet,save em for summer, and smear a bit of fairy liquid on the inside of your visor,it will keep it from misting up and cheaper than the anti mist spray the bike shop sells.;)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The Foggy mask helmet insert works a treat but you have to regulate your breathing for the first mile or two. Breath out too quick and it'll blow out past the mask and mist things up.
...and you have to remember you're wearing it or it'll gouge a chunk out your forehead when you slip your lid off.

My fave bit of winter kit is one of those Belstaff rubberised suits that were popular back in the 80s. I went for the full blown lined affair, jacket and bib&brace trousers and have never regretted it. It's the only jacket I've ever had that's really waterproof.

I'm a bit partial to yon wee wiper blades that loop round your glove's index finger. Don't wear it often(tends to go on around the same time as the rubber suit is being contemplated) but like having it in my pocket. Don't like riding through slush without it.

I fell for the sticky tyre one once. Bike was wearing a pair of BT56SS going into winter and it led to lots of awkward moments and unnerving feelings.

Something that surprised me was that sportsbikes are pretty capable in the snow and ice. When I got it I expected the wee zxr to be threatening to wash out the front but there was none of it. Instead the front feels totaly planted and the back just slips around all over the place in a reasonably controllable fashion.

Full fairings are nice. I rarely need to put on waterproof trousers on the faired bike. Still carry them but get away with the daily commute just using the leather trousers.
Thankfully my fairing has cutaways in a position for slotting cold hands into. You have to give the bike a big cuddle but at least it's possible. A couple of mates have fairings where you can't get to the engine at all and heated grips become a must have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE