A good year for Beech mast?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've noticed around my way just about all the beech trees seem to be really heavily loaded with mast more than I've ever seen before.

Anyone else noticed the same?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We had quite a bit last year so I'm not expecting a lot this year, although it can change dramatically within a few miles so i probably will find some good amounts in places that had little last year. Anyone do anything with it?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The Rowans here are looking loaded this year, the first crop of wild cherry's where crackers too., found a bumper bundle of red currents( cheers Lou1661 for the id that stumped me) and raspberries that are very big this early. cold winter and warm spring followed by some corking downpours perhapse?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Slight tangent ... Our apple tree is a bit confused ~ we've got apples developing nicely and now it's decided that it's going to flower again. As we lost more than two thirds of the apples to winds, I'm not too sure whether to remove the flower buds or to see how they develop :dunno: :confused: .

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
it`s going to be a bad winter ;) (good for my fire wood orders) last year was the same around the shires, with the beech,oak,crap apple and sweet chestnuts all with heavy loads on them. A few of the Oaks had a Mast years and were really loaded down. This years weather has been a great start again for are native hard wood trees, with the oak come out before the Ash trees, but we still need some "wet" soon to make it even better. All good for are native wildlife :)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
We had quite a bit last year so I'm not expecting a lot this year, although it can change dramatically within a few miles so i probably will find some good amounts in places that had little last year. Anyone do anything with it?

Grab a branch full of mast still attached but nearly ready to drop. Hold it over the fire till they start to open up from the outer shell, then take out the nut and take the inner shell off and enjoy them roasted. lovely.

Last couple of years here there has been plenty of mast but no nuts inside. Hoping for a bumper crop this year.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Anything berry or nut related seems happy/healthy and in abundance around here so far...

Had about 10lb+ of nice big black cherries, loads of hazelnut around, rowans are bulging in one spot, brambles in full flower and I found a wallnut tree last week covered in them.
Its been a good year for taking in the surroundings, which I am grateful for.

al.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE