A good morning with the froe

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I made myself a little froe from an old leaf spring - it's a bit soft but for splitting kindling it works a treat - maybe not as quick as using a chopper but less dangerous

68bbcb13a03bc9848191a1806f360ace.jpg

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Nice one:). I used that method a few times-but the axe is still faster for large volumes of kinderling. I use a mini pickaroon (length of hawthorn with a stout 4 inch nail driven right through one end) and hold the board or log with the point at one edge, then take swipes off the other edge. On short bits it doesnt usually run out. Plus you dont have to keep repositioning the wood as the pickaroon is still holding the remaining piece up already. You can use as much axe force as you need, no nerves "in case I miss...." because the holding hand is well away from the cutting edge
Will you be getting any hazel or other coppice? The froe comes into its own for splitting that. I plan to get some hazel in the next week or 2

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Like the idea of the pickaroon and not having to reposition.

I've been using an electricians bolster mounted on my chopping log, with the handle of the bolster in a hole in the top of the stump. I put the wood on top of the bolster and whack it with a log or lump hammer, works well, but still need to reposition the timber each time. Think I saw the idea on here somewhere or maybe on BB forum.

Might go back to using a small axe and a pickaroon for a while and see if it's quicker.

Cheers, Paul

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I like the thought of the pickaroon too - still doesn't address my lack of accuracy, though!

I'm hoping to build a cleaving brake to split some willow for hurdle making

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Try an buy a full size pickaroon for timber handling in the UK - I've tried and I can't find one anywhere :(

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Nicely done Spandit. I do like a froe for such things.

A pickaroon is something I've been meaning to forge for some time. Useful looking bit of kit.

Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Jared - they are getting very close. I have never worked with one, but can see them as a real back saver in dragging logs around. I can't see me using the big beasts but something in the 80-90cm range should be more than big enough for dragging the stuff I need to move for firewood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE