a fun challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Today hasn't gone to plan. Ruined two bowls trying to woodturn, cut my finger, jammed a drill bit into the base of my thumb, and heated some oil in a glass in the microwave - only the glass shattered with 5 seconds to go on the timer, leaving me with a microwave full of walnut oil. :(

Some days the creativity bug just isn't there.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Today hasn't gone to plan. Ruined two bowls trying to woodturn, cut my finger, jammed a drill bit into the base of my thumb, and heated some oil in a glass in the microwave - only the glass shattered with 5 seconds to go on the timer, leaving me with a microwave full of walnut oil. :(

Some days the creativity bug just isn't there.

its sounds like you are having worst luck making your challenge than i did making mine. all I can say dont give up make, look forwards to seeing the end results ;)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not giving up, just had one of those days that you get sometimes.

Currently trying to convince my wife that I need a chainsaw, but given that I managed to injure myself with the blunt end of a drill bit today, she isn't keen on the idea. Can't imagine why. :p

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Ive Been a tad busy with sorting out excuses to get out of going to the inlaws for Christmas, but the lakes are my escape. But hopefully will start my challenge tomorrow at the meet.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okay, finished mine. Here it is:

IMGP0274.jpg
IMGP0272.jpg

I was challenged to make a whilstle, with a Christmas theme, which delighted me no end, as I'm a notorious humbug. :bluThinki

So, altogether now...

"The Holly and the Ivy,
When they are both full grown,
Make a wonky sort of whistle,
And give you blisters in the process"

One whistle, main body from holly, the infill bits from ivy, with a paracord lanyard to hide the bit where it split.

The hole down the middle isn't down the middle at all, but sort of skewed, and my wife said the finished item (walnut oil finish with wax on top) looks like a dead mouse. It makes a noise like a dead mouse as well.

Many thanks to Yomperalex for a fun challenge, exactly as the thread title intended. Very enjoyable, despite the blisters.

:cool:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I was challenged to make a whilstle, with a Christmas theme, which delighted me no end, as I'm a notorious humbug. :bluThinki

So, altogether now...

"The Holly and the Ivy,
When they are both full grown,
Make a wonky sort of whistle,
And give you blisters in the process"

One whistle, main body from holly, the infill bits from ivy, with a paracord lanyard to hide the bit where it split.

The hole down the middle isn't down the middle at all, but sort of skewed, and my wife said the finished item (walnut oil finish with wax on top) looks like a dead mouse. It makes a noise like a dead mouse as well.

Many thanks to Yomperalex for a fun challenge, exactly as the thread title intended. Very enjoyable, despite the blisters.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

I have to say mate that is really cool and a hard challenge at that, whistles are fiddley to make, well done on completing it. ;)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I thought it would be easy, but it wasn't, although I made soimething of a meal of it.

Right, where are we with this...

1.monkeyboy
2.DaveBromley
3. Harvestman - completed
4. YomperAlex
5. G4GHB
6. Mesquite
7. mountainm
8. shaggystu
9. Globetrotter uk
10. Bilmo
11. Danbow
12. Lannyman8
13. Jackcbr
14. Kep
15. Alecf
16 Elines
17 grummit
18 hiho9
19. monkeyboy
20. Mafro
21.jjj
22. Harvestman

Sorry jjj I'm signing up again, so you get the pain as well as the fun of inflicting it on someone else. Will PM you shortly.

I really hope this thread doesn't die out with lots of people failing to complete their projects. I see it as a good way to learn new skills because the chances are someone will ask you to do something you wouldn't have tried to make yourself.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ok - I have finished my challenge but before going into that I need to say that even I have been surpised at how thick I have been in misunderstanding this thread.

I thought the idea waw to make something for someone else - I remembered seeing the words 'post it' in the original post but they referred to posting pictures on the forum NOT posting via Royal Mail.

I can see how I made the mistake but won't be surprised to hear that I am the only one to have made it.

Anyway .... on to the challenge.

This was from Gummit and was:

"I would like you to make a priest for despatching game not too nasty but will have them all thinking"

This was to be for larger game like sea fish/rabbits.

And this is what I came up with:

CIMG6495.JPG

CIMG6496.JPG

For those interested ....
  • the wood is apple. I generally find this an interesting wood as it is a bit twisty/bendy and seems multi coloured when you remove the bark. I recall reading somewhere that it is very hard and used to be used for the big coggy things in water/wind mills
  • the end is a 22mm copper end cap, which I rounded a bit by carving a piece of wood, placing the end cap on it and then bashing it with a hammer for a few minutes
  • the wood fits into the copper tubing for about 1 - 1.5cms, glued with epoxy and the rest of the space is filled with lead
  • I got the lead - free - from a tyre replacement place, but learned that these days a lot of the wheel weights are zinc NOT lead, and you cannot easily tell which is which - so I got a load but most were zinc. There was enough lead ones for this job though
  • I soldered the (domed) end cap to the copper pipe and then put it upright in a vice, and held the lead wheel weights (in pliers) over the top of the tube and melted the lead with a blow torch
  • total weight is 213 gms/7.5 ounces
  • I applied two coats of exterior varnish and fitted a bit of cord to provide security in use (?lots of slimy/slippery blood?) and adjustable (with ?double fisherman's knots)
Other stuff:

I want to have a go at flint knapping and the priest (?so-called because it serves the last rites) is very similar to a 'bopper'. So this was a good challenge for me.

When I thought I was making it for someone else I thought about putting a trademark on it, so trying to think one up was another interesting aspect for me. This is what I have currenlty come up with:

CIMG6497.JPG

So - a good experience, especially as the risk (as you are making it for yourself) is much lower than I thought it was. Thanks Monkeyboy for suggesting it

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE