A fox sign?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
I followed a track through some long grass today and found to my delight some kind of hive of burrowing activity. Some of the shallow holes had feaces in them and it was medium sized and black like tar, I think it was a fox.

I also saw a hair on a near by bush which seems like a fox hair, light in color, but wasnt sure.

Can anyone enlighten me?

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
It sounds like you found a Badger Set. They dig small holes to go in. This Latrine site can normally be found near to the main set.

Fox droppings are normally full of hair, like a dogs in size but with a tapered end. Foxes use the tops of molehills and the like for marking territories.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
we have some badger latrienes on the nature reserve I volunteer at, they look like what you described but our are just on their general path around the reserve, unfortuneatly no sets on the reserve

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Ah that is intersting thanks guys, I will keep a look out for hairs and stuff, I thought i did see a badger track, but I was not sure.[/img]

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
You can tell if it's Badger hair that you have found, if you roll it between your fingers, it should feel anglular to the touch. Usually light in colour darkening to the tips, obviously dependent where on the Badger the hair came from. Although if it on a wire fence it likely to have come from it's back

Richie

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I monitor a badger set a few miles from my home.
It is huge by far the biggest sett i have ever seen about 40 entrances, Although normally no more than 25 are in regular use. Seems they switch between.

One highlight was watching a badger cub playing with a fox cub.

It took ages for the sett to accept my presence. I haven't been down for a while so most check them out.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
What kind of diet to badgers exist on? Is it woems and berries as i suspect?

What time of year so they usually have their litters?

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Like most weasels, Badgers are omnivores and will eat fruits,insects and small animals. I have one that controls ground squirrels in a local avocado orchard. She also tends to eat the avocados :lol: Badgers will often team up with a coyote to hunt here. The badger will dig out a squirrel den and the coyote will kill any escaping. She was extremely resentfull of me at first, but came to like my food gifts too.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
Its a good time to watch badgers as the young will be venturing up from the sett very soon.

Just got back from my local badger sett, Three adults seen but no young out yet.

Richie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE