A finished kuksa

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
What's in the canvas pouch I wonder, lets have a look inside.
Agiftkuksa001.jpg

It could be jelly beans or peanuts, no it's something else made of wood.
Agiftkuksa004.jpg

Agiftkuksa005.jpg

Looks like it has been oiled with walnut oil.
Looking good if I say so myself, pity it is going to a new owner who doesn't know that he is going to receive it as a gift. No pity really as there are more where this came from.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks Southey, it was easy to do as I only removed some bark from the outside, cut just under where the handle is to shape it up and cut the bowl out, bit of sanding and some walnut oil, finished.
There are two others that I oiled yesterday that were cut from the same figure of eight shaped burl, now they are real nice.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Cheers mate, I saw the one you made the other day, sitting on a log carving them out must be uncomfortable.
Looks like you get out to the woods on a regular basis, can't beat it can you.
Here is another couple I did recently, I have already posted them up but not oiled up.

Enjoy.
Finishedkuksas001.jpg

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Cheers mate, I saw the one you made the other day, sitting on a log carving them out must be uncomfortable.
Looks like you get out to the woods on a regular basis, can't beat it can you.
Here is another couple I did recently, I have already posted them up but not oiled up.

Enjoy.
Finishedkuksas001.jpg

Really nice

If you mean me believe it or not that's out in the corner of my buddies back yard LOL nah the log is pretty comfy specially when I put one of them foam gardener knee pads on it :D

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Lush :thumbup: might make a start on my next one tonight. Yours are very inspiring, thanks for showing them :cool:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Damn nice work there Hugo my old mate!,really nice. Must have another go again myself, Third time lucky i supose!:p

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Those are beautiful Hugo, and Love the way you made it into a little story ^^ felt like the kid that was being read a bedtime story.
Really nice burls too, and I have to say that I envy you guys a little getting together all the time ^^ but hey Gonna do my best to be able to get myself onto the bushmoot this year.
Yours sincerely Ruud

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks Ruud your comments are most welcome.
Bushmoot is too far away for me, I tend to not travel to far from home.

@ Rockmonkey, try leaving the bark on for longer so as to slow down the drying out process, might not crack that way.
Two of my very first kuksas made with cherry wood split, just a little crack in each so I know where you are coming from.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That is too bad to hear Hugo, but hey maybe If I'm in my silly mode one day I'll try and join you guys in one of those Sussex meets of yours, cause Hell what better reason is there to hop into a airplane with a suitcase filled with knives and axes ^^. Perhaps if my internship in Sweden is rejected I'll look for a nice internship in the UK there are some great backpack designers there too right?
Yours sincerely, the probably a tad over excited, and a tad to broke, Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE