a few for the spiritburners

EdS

had a little play tonight and decided to get a few photos

An old Thermidor picnic

IMG_0098.jpg

Must try and find a 2 pint model

the R8 - both the Thermidor and the R8 came form the otherhalfs father so are over 40 years old. The R8 is my favourite stove for day trips in the canoe

IMG_0100.jpg

its big brother - 111. An ex-army unit

IMG_0079.jpg

Eventually a use for the Ratpack chicken pate. This little number works suprisingly well.

IMG_0102.jpg

A quick one, knocked up out of a tomato puree tin. Took about 2 minutes to make. Seems to work OK

IMG_0105.jpg

And final the grandaddy of them all. This one is over 100 years old and still bette than the ubiquitous trangia. Photo take the othe week on the "summit" of Holyhead mountain.

IMG_0083.jpg

EdS

I did a post on 18-12-08 about it - damn linky thing is not working

Got a "new" stove the other day. Christmas pressy to myself.

A Barrett & Sons, Piccadilly gentlemans picnic set. Consists of stove, pan with lid and handle (it has a slight jug lip for pouring)

From what I can find out they started out as a brush maker then in the late 1800 - early 1900 jumps on to the fashion for a Picadilly address. The where trunk makers and miliatry outfittes(Sam Brownes, shoes etc).

I guess they made the leather case in house and the rest was bought in a repackaged.

The set is made from copper, the pan tin lines and the handle wood and brass.

It all packet away - 1909 Farthing for scale

it all packs into the pan. The pan is approx 12cm tall and holds a pint

unpacked. The snuffer on the stove doubles as a screwed lid. If you look at the pan support closely you can see that it is shaped to fit inside the raised lip of the stove. The pan has an incut bottom (if that makes sense) for a snug fit to the support.

Read for use - if I took the snuffer of that is.

re-packed read to go away.

the burner - it is a wick one

This really is excellent bit of kit, ifa bit heavy. Very well made and even more well though out and pretty to boot.

If this was available as an undated version in stainless steel/ Ti and with a folding cup handle and removable bail it would beat the rest hands down

Only used it in the house so far. Not the quickest as it is not pressurised but not much between it and what I remember of trangias etc - certainly nicer to have. Yes it is going to be a user but I'm not going to add a bailarm. Might make a clip on one though.

Don't see why it would not work with a crusader cup or my MSR Alpine kettle if I want more water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE