A few days mountain trekking with the Missus

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I just got back from a few days away trekking with my wife .
4 years ago before my wife became pregnant with our daughter we used to go trekking together quite often, but since the little -un came along most of my overnight trips have been alone of with mates .
We have been lucky as my daughter has a great relationship with the mother-inlaw and my wife and I have finally had time to go and spend a few together in the mountains for .

All in all it was great to be out trekking with my wife again

I thought I would share some photos

Day 1

We headed up some forest roads to the source of the river Lech in the Austrian Alps, then hiked along the start .
The start of the Lech is formed by dozens of crystal clear springs that just seem to jump out of the ground or the sides of the river bank .
This area is also famous for having a large population of Steinbocks .

The Springs that form the river Lech just seem to jump out the ground

We found a nice flat spot to camp out and cook some dinner

DAY 2

Started off with typical German breakfast of bread cheese and meat (I do miss bacon and eggs)

And that was followed by getting the water for the mornings hike sorted out

Then it was off hiking again

About mid afternoon a storm from Switzerland blew in so we packed away the camera and decided to start looking for a place to camp ,we walked for a further 10k (30k total for the day) but where unable to find a good flat spot on the side of the mountain.
Sooooo being tired worn out and cold we decided the best course of action was to do a "Bear Grylls" for the night and we headed off the mountain down into a village and booked onto a cheapo guest house for the night .
(It was not to bad really as the beer in the local bar tasted rather good) :)

DAY 3

It basically continued to rain all day but nor as bad as it has the afternoon before so we went out and hiked again and had a good day

Heres a posh hunters hide with glass windows

And my Scary face photo :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Looking at the first photo I thought Bear Grylls was tagging along with you.:D
Beautiful scenery & that view from the tent door is quite something......looks like you both enjoyed it despite the rain :)

Thanks for sharing.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Salad, really stunning scenery, some of the paths look quite well beaten, is that animal or human wear? And did you see many other people on your trip? Last one which pack is that? On your back.

That photo of those salamander things, now
lets me know how they make black crocs!

Nice report pal.

Atb.

Ivan...

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Wow, fantastic location and pictures! Looks like a perfect few days :)

Cheers mate, we were hopping to make it last for a few more days but a big weather front has come into this part of the alps(which can make hiking here dangerous), we are now thinking to head down to the italian alps tomorrow morning for the rest of the week as the weather looks better there

Looks fantastic some amazing views very lucky man

Many thanks Mr Mouse :)

What a glorious area, thanks for the insight...

It was very nice there, all the alpen flowers where out in full bloom

Looking at the first photo I thought Bear Grylls was tagging along with you.:D
Beautiful scenery & that view from the tent door is quite something......looks like you both enjoyed it despite the rain :)

Thanks for sharing.

Noooo I am not Grylls, ohhhhhh the shame ;)
we did have fun mate

Hi Salad, nice,real nice views, a shrafters paradise.

Cheers Stuart.

It is a lovley place mate, thanks fer yer kind words :)

Great stuff, looks like a good trip

Thankyou, was great to be trekking with the wife again :)

Hi Salad, really stunning scenery, some of the paths look quite well beaten, is that animal or human wear? And did you see many other people on your trip? Last one which pack is that? On your back.

That photo of those salamander things, now
lets me know how they make black crocs!

Nice report pal.

Atb.

Ivan...

Hello Mate,
Thats human wear on those paths although I am sure a few animals use them as well. The area is quite a popular hiking area so we did bump into a few others but not as many as I would have expected to .

The pack is a kifaru timberline 2 (they are not cheap but in my opinion worth the long term investment) . To my shame and embarrassment I have dropped that pack whilst fully loaded 200 metres down the side of a mountain before and it remained intact . bomb proof rucksack :)

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cool Photos. :cool: And what an area to have on your doorstep to explore!

And why does Beer always taste better in the mountains? :confused:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Beautiful location and a great trip :)

Thanks Dunx :)

Really nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

It is some nice scenery here, thankyou :)

Wow thanks for sharing, looks a real nice place to take a wander.

I love walking in the mountains its my favourite place to take a wander .cheers :)

That's great. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thankyou,I have enjoyed reading your blog too :)

well done amigo!.....some really good shots despite the grey skys...thanks for sharing...woods

Thanks for your words, we are getting ready this morning to head off down into sunny parts for the second stage of our holiday (car camping and relaxing) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE