A few bridle leather belts

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've recently finished a few bridle leather belts for members on here. All three were made from traditionally tanned leather, from J&FJ Baker of Devon, who operate the last remaining traditional oak-bark tannery in the UK.

The belts are all 1.5" wide, and are cut from an Australian Nut coloured (dark brown) bridle butt, with all finishing (edge bevelling, edge dyeing, burnishing) done by hand. Buckles are polished and waxed with Renaissance Wax, before being sewn on by hand, using linen thread, with stitch holes being made by a diamond awl. It takes a good few hours to make one of these belts.

bridle_012.jpg

bridle_013.jpg

bridle_014.jpg

And heres an example of the stitching (on some 1" wide belts).

bridle_015.jpg

Thanks for looking

Geoff :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely work, love the contrast of the brass and dark brown, lovely Job you did there.
and it hurts to hear that there is only one Oak bark tannery is left, is that really all there is left of the traditional tanning method?
yours sincerely Ruud

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
and it hurts to hear that there is only one Oak bark tannery is left, is that really all there is left of the traditional tanning method?

It seems so. Their web site (http://www.jfjbaker.co.uk/) says

J & FJ Baker is Britain's only remaining traditional oak bark tannery. The exclusive methods produce the rich coloured organic leather favoured by distinguished shoe makers and top stables for its quality, durability and finish. Devon river water, oak from renewable sources, and time dedicated to slow tanning preserve the natural weave of the fibres in each hide resulting in unique hardwearing luxury.

Hamlyns Colyton has been a tannery since Roman times. Rebuilt over the centuries, the current buildings are set among orchards, fields of grazing horses, and the gentle rolling hills of rural Devon countryside. Sun filters into the serenity of the tanning rooms. Hides hang in calm country air.

The tannery has been featured on a few BBC 'heritage' programs (The Edwardian Farm and Britain's Heritage Heroes). The only other major UK tannery I'm aware of is J E Sedgwick. Although I haven't used any Sedgwick leather, I've seen a few samples. Both tanneries produce very high quality, hand finished leathers. Baker's leather retains much of the original 'character' of the hide and so is perhaps more suited for 'artisan' goods. Sedgwick's appears to have a more even finish, both in surface finish and dye consistency so may be more appropriate for 'dress' goods. Horses for courses.

Geoff :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks a lot for that bit of information Geoff, that is interesting to say the least.
I will probably get myself into those fact a bit further as I am quite the layman as far as leather goes, want to learn allot about different tannin processes, Dying leather etc. but hey thanks to you people I'm already on the way to becoming a wiser man.
Yours sincerely with the kindest regards Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE