A Dry Water Course & Some Flint

Since I've gotten a pretty good grasp on the bow drill, and the Mullein I want to try for the hand drill isn't up yet...I've been thinking more about flint and steel, and flint cutting edges. I know there is a lot of chert in this area lots of points are still found in farmers fields here. I want to experiment some myself with what's available here locally. So today I a went for a hike up a dry watercourse where I had found some good sized pieces of flint in a pool below a small falls a while back. It has been dry for two weeks so I wanted to see if I could find some larger pieces on up above.

This is the bottom of the first fall.

IMG_4541.jpg

There is some pretty rough terrain here, and the rain forest is coming back to life now.

IMG_4549.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

The mosquitoes are already getting rough in the evenings. I lit a little fatwood to smoke out an are while I took a break. I'm really liking the ESEE fire starter.

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

Climbed up a couple of short, dry, water falls.

IMG_4550.jpg

I threw my pack onto the top of this fall.

IMG_4564.jpg

This is looking back down it, you can see where the flowing water has carved patterns in the stone.

IMG_4566.jpg

I did find what I was looking for.

IMG_4591.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

IMG_4592.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics MW, everything's looking very green again.

Did you manage to get any of the flint out ? It looks like somebody's been there before you, probably many moons ago but it definitely looks like it's been worked before.

Nice pics MW, everything's looking very green again.

Did you manage to get any of the flint out ? It looks like somebody's been there before you, probably many moons ago but it definitely looks like it's been worked before.

Thanks Shewie, I'm glad to see the green back....but now we're breaking 30 year old pollen records...

Nope, not yet. I didn't have any tools with me but I'm going back. I also recently found about two tons of some really rich fatwood all in one BIG tree skeleton right here in my own back yard too. I am thinking I may be buying some tins and some jute, and making up some fire kits for presents this year...maybe even some to sell too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE