A Day Test In The Woods

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Well this morning I decided I’d venture off into the woods for the afternoon. Was gone from 11-4.45 so a reasonably long day. I took the new toy out for a spin :D the Polish army tent. So after grabbing all my gear and a few other bits and bobs I was off.

photo0095.jpg

Well I arrived at my chosen spot, and then cleared the ground to make a nice area to put the tipi over,

photo0074.jpg

photo0059o.jpg

I then set it up, piece of cake! It really is so easy to put up I am VERY happy with this piece of kit.

photo0061.jpg

photo0062.jpg

After setting up and having a lounge around inside it just to see what it would be like to really sleep in (I very nearly fell asleep!) It suddenly got a bit nippy. So I decided to get a fire started…only problem was, I had to means of doing it. I didn’t bring any matches lighter or any tinder or anything. I didn’t even take out my Laplander so I could cut the firewood! So I had to do it using completely natural materials…a first for me! I had a scout around for some fire wood, found a few dead standing trees so the fire wood was plentiful, but I had real trouble finding any tinder. I walked about half a mile out of the woods before I came across some dry grass, so I loaded up on that and headed back. With everything prepared I was feeling quite ambitious. I found a couple of sticks that I knew would be perfect for the bow-drill method. So; using my shoelace to complete the bow I got to work. Admittedly it took me a long time, but I was expecting that having never actually done this myself just watched other people, and TV of course. But finally, I did it! I’m not going to bore you with the bit between. So here it is :D my first ever fire made using no matches or lighters. I was very excited at this point hence why there is so many pictures…I’ve even left more than half of them out!

photo0076.jpg

photo0080w.jpg

photo0066in.jpg

photo0068s.jpg

photo0072d.jpg

After sitting for a good hour or so feeling thoroughly pleased with myself, I packed up and left. Went strolling deeper into the woods where I came across something I really wasn’t expecting to find. An old shelter I made over 2 years ago, all the thatching and everything has fallen and rotted away…however…it still stands!

photo0082z.jpg

photo0081h.jpg

I also found a wire mesh that I used to use for grilling things, will certainly come in handy again :D good find if you ask me.

photo0083a.jpg

I couldn’t be bothered with more walking so I just found a nice spot and set up my hammock :)

photo0085s.jpg

I then made a tripod tied together with nettle roots to hang my shoes on whilst in the hammock…

photo0089r.jpg

My choice of literature for this afternoon;

photo0086o.jpg

When I went home it was a beautiful day with a slight breeze…which was surprisingly warm

photo0091yu.jpg

photo0093f.jpg

All in all a great day :D

EDIT: Sorry for the mess up with pictures at the start

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
photo0086o.jpg

Try using the Insert Image button Jordan

screenshot.jpg

Copy the link from imageshack, the "Direct" one in "Links to share this image". In the popup box that appears get rid of the first http:// and then post your link in.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
wahey figured it out, will get the rest up now. Thanks Rich :D

sorry about the delay folks.

P.S excuse the poor quality of some of these pics. All taken with my mobile

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Something small ran under my hammock and I didn't know what it was, so I had a quick google and turns out it was a pine marten...didn't even know they inhabited my piece of woodland. Wanted to grab it when I saw it...looked well cute :D

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Was a very good day :D and yes it did, i had the fire about 2 yards away from the opening and it did heat the shelter up a bit. However if your planning on using this as a heat source for it, I wouldn't recommend it. It didn't heat it up significantly, well not enough for me to notice anyway. I still think a candle lantern would be the best option.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Was a very good day :D and yes it did, i had the fire about 2 yards away from the opening and it did heat the shelter up a bit. However if your planning on using this as a heat source for it, I wouldn't recommend it. It didn't heat it up significantly, well not enough for me to notice anyway. I still think a candle lantern would be the best option.

Maybe build the fire closer and have a reflector behind it?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
That may be an option, I forgot to mention though, small embers from the fire seemed to blow onto the tent and make white marks everywhere...didn't damage the tent in any way...just thought I might mention it.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I love the look of those tents. Where did you get them and what are the dimensions? (head height, floor space etc).

P.S. I presume you took the barbecue grill away with you this time rather than leave it littering the woods again for another couple of years?

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
Something small ran under my hammock and I didn't know what it was, so I had a quick google and turns out it was a pine marten...didn't even know they inhabited my piece of woodland. Wanted to grab it when I saw it...looked well cute :D

Where abouts were you, i think Pine Marten are only in parts of Scotland and can be nearly 2ft long. I am proberly wrong though.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I was in a woods near Castle Donington, just near east midlands airport. Your probably right, but I have no idea what it was, what other small similar looking animals are all native to Britain? It has a thin tail and it seemed to have a black tip. It was brown all over. I thought it was a squirrel at first until i seen the tail.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I was in a woods near Castle Donington, just near east midlands airport. Your probably right, but I have no idea what it was, what other small similar looking animals are all native to Britain? It has a thin tail and it seemed to have a black tip. It was brown all over. I thought it was a squirrel at first until i seen the tail.

Sounds like a Stoat dude.

http://derbyshiremammalgroup.com/id/description/stoat_id.html

Sounds like a good trip out. I'll be trying a fire infront with the wind from behind the tent, and a reflector when cold. Plus a small uco type lantern for good measure :)

Ohh and a big down bag as im nesh these days :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE