A day on the hills around Thirlmere

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Had a great day out on the fells around Thirlmere yesterday, no piccies though as I forgot to pick up my batteries for my camera on the way out which was annoying to say the least. I didn't realise either until we were 40+ miles away from home :(

I'd seen the craggy slopes on the west side of the lake when I went for a paddle there a few weeks ago. Given it's location between Windermere and Kesick most folk just whizz on past so that means there's not the usual weekend crowds bimbling about.
We parked up about midway along the west road and then walked along the shoreline path to Armboth car park where we found our track leading up onto the fell tops. The going was quite hard for me as I've been getting used to sitting on my backside and paddling most weekends lately, so the lungs were on fire and my legs had turned to lead after about ten minutes of climbing. We took plenty of stops along the way to catch our breath and enjoy the last of the shade before breaking out of the tree line and reaching the grassy slopes of Armboth Fell. Mick had chosen to wear canvas boots for this walk and soon discovered the peaty bogs still had plenty of water under the crust.

Fourty minutes from leaving the car we'd ascended 500m to the bleak summit of High Tove and the panoramic views in all directions were simply stunning, now I was really mad about the camera. We had the huge lump of Helvellyn and Brown Crag to our east, High Spy and Great Gable to our west and the magnificent Skiddaw and Belncathra watching over Keswick to the north. The morning mist had burnt out in the sun so we could literally see the whole range of the fells in all directions.
Passing High Tove we dropped down 100m towards the picturesque village of Watendlath before turning south and climbing steadily back up onto the reaches of Shivery Knott and onwards towards Blea Tarn. Here we stoppped for lunch under a rocky outcrop where we enjoyed the first bit of shade from the sun since leaving the forests earlier in the morning. Apparently the fishing is good in Blea Tarn but neither of us had thought to bring a rod so we just sat back and watched the fish rising whilst scoffing our food. We could have stopped there all day but pressed on instead for the peak of Standing Crag before turning east and to a future camp spot we wanted to check out.

Dropping back down the slopes to the forest I pulled out my GPS to find I'd accidentally reset it to factory defaults in my pocket and lost all the waypoints I'd plotted out the night before :rant:
Reverting back to map and compass we picked our way down the paths and into the beautiful woodland surrounding Harrop Tarn. We stopped for a quick break and while I stoked up the kelly kettle Mick went off to check out some suitable hammock spots. He came back after about two minutes and said we were literally spoiled for choice so that was that sorted. As we walked along the side of Harrop Tarn we watched a buzzard overhead and a couple of herons feeding on presumeably wild trout in the tiny tarn. This place had the makings for a great place to camp so I entered another waypoint into the GPS and turned it off again sharpish.
We left the tarn behind us and made our way down the forest paths alongside the trickle of Dob Gill beck and back towards Thirlmere lake 200m below us. Twenty minutes along the shoreside path and we were back to the car. My feet were feeling a bit hot from the descent so I went for a paddle for ten minutes before packing up and leaving.

All in all we had a great day, and although we probably only covered around 8 - 9 miles I'm still feeling it today.

If anyones interested in some spectacular views of the lake district and you don't like the crowds that usually come with it, then this is a great place to visit come rain or shine.

And don't forget your camera batteries, sun cream and hat ......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a nice day out - I also suffer from leaden legs and burning lungs from time to time:eek: . I suppose I should get more exercise really....

Simon

Yep I certainly need to get some more practise in, I seem to be getting old and fat these days so need to make some effort.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Sounds like a good day out Rich.

I tend to avoid that range outside of drought conditions and really cold winters, because of the bogs that you mentioned. The first time that I took my wife there, we were heading down Bleaberry fell, planning to cross High Seat and High Tove, when Julia slipped and slid about 50 metres on her front in less than ten seconds. When I eventually stopped laughing, I realised that there was no way that we'd be able to continue, even though she looked spotless from behind.
We escaped down Ashness Gill, where she refused to clean herself off before getting into my car.
A very underestimated area of the Lakes IMO, in the right conditions, with my favourite view point at the southern end of the range on High Raise.

Cheers, Michael.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Quite like the quiet side of Thirlmere, its not a big walkers route so theres less amblers getting up your nose.

The little tarn up the hill from the carpark (Harrop tarn?) looks nice but the grounds a bit boggy round a lot of it and I bet that its a midge infested hole at the wrong time of year if you camp there.

I remember going to that side as a nipper and climbing the massive rock with one of my sisters and her boyfriend, nice place.

Its nicer because theres less people there I reckon.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A very underestimated area of the Lakes IMO, in the right conditions, with my favourite view point at the southern end of the range on High Raise.

High Raise is a favourite of mine too, in fact it's probably the one I've summited the most aswell. My first visit to the lakes was to Haweswater and it's always had something special for me, especially once the crowds have gone home and you get the place to yourself.
Had many a good night under the shadow of Kidsty Pike and treks over to Angle Tarn.

Happy days

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Quite like the quiet side of Thirlmere, its not a big walkers route so theres less amblers getting up your nose.

The little tarn up the hill from the carpark (Harrop tarn?) looks nice but the grounds a bit boggy round a lot of it and I bet that its a midge infested hole at the wrong time of year if you camp there.

I remember going to that side as a nipper and climbing the massive rock with one of my sisters and her boyfriend, nice place.

Its nicer because theres less people there I reckon.

We had a bit of a scoot around and there were definitely no go areas to avoid, there looked to be a nice higher patch towards the west side which looked good for a camp.

As for the midges it did have that look about it, it was a bit of a sun trap when we were there and probably too hot for them to come out though. I can imagine as the sun dips down behind the hills and it cools down a touch it could be a scottish midge'fest.

It's got to be worth a go though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE