A daft question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
It might seem a daft question, but exactly what procedure do you have to go through in order to go on water with a boat? Is it like fishing where you have to get a rod license? Are there streches of water where anyone can go, and is it a case of getting landowners permission to launch etc. Probably basic stuff, but its totally new to me. Are there any other tips or important things to consider?
cheers Jonathan :)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think we would need to know where you live as I think the law in England is different from Scotland where you have right of access to water with a canoe as long as it is not motorised.:)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
crikey fred that was quick reply :D
I live in east anglia (North suffok). The type of boat I have in mind which I really want to build is a skin on frame umiak type dinghy, I dont think I would be looking at a petrol engine, possibly a smal electric rechargeable one? Most likely propelled by paddle I guess :)
cheers Jonathan :D

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm not at all clear on the appropriat law in England, living in Scotland! However, I suspect that you would need the owners permission but I'm sure someone on here will have the right answer.;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can paddle on basically any tidal waters and Navigations (like the Wye and Severn).
On rivers Riparian Rights owners own the fishing rights - not all rights to the water - landowners own the river bed - not the water.
Ergo you can paddle anywhere as long as you access the water from a point that is publicly owned or that you have the landowners perm to be on....try it! Paddlers need a test case in the courts!
In practice you need landowners and riparian rights perm....
On canals you need a licence as you also do on the Thames....

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
cheers for that john ,so on english rivers as long as i access at a public piont im ok im new to canoeing on white water,but ive had some evil looks from fishermen even though ive tried to avoid em and i know offpeople being shouted at by fishermen

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Any time I have been canoeing (not very often admittedly) I have just went to the water and done it, I figured its quicker to ask forgiveness than fart around getting permission.

The odd fisherman (with the emphasis on the ODD bit) has raised a fairly vocal objection but what are they going to do, swim after me?

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Any time I have been canoeing (not very often admittedly) I have just went to the water and done it, I figured its quicker to ask forgiveness than fart around getting permission.

This is an irresponsible attitude to take! There are many people working to get access for paddlers and if you just put your boat on the water as you feel like it, then you risk wrecking that work.

The odd fisherman (with the emphasis on the ODD bit) has raised a fairly vocal objection but what are they going to do, swim after me?

Well, for starters they'll throw 'kin great rocks! I've also met a kayak paddler who had damage from shot gun pellets in his boat from a particularly nasty incident in 'legally entitled to paddle where you like' Scotland. You mustn't forget that anglers pay vast sums of cash to fish some waters and folk paddling through can seriously upset them.

I don't know if Mr Dazzler would be pushing the limits of the British Canoe Union with an Umiak, but BCU membership gives value for money with it's license which covers many miles of waterway in the UK. Also third party insurance to, I think, £3,000,000. As has been said earlier, tidal waters are usable, but expect to pay some sort of fee which is usually reasonably priced.

Al

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
This is an irresponsible attitude to take!

Thats a fair comment, I have been labled as irresponsable on a number of occasions and may well have aged a bit since then.

However, are you saying that it's not legal to just paddle down rivers?

Whats the exact legalities involved?
And what are the legal penalties?
If its legal, then shucks.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Thats a fair comment, I have been labled as irresponsable on a number of occasions and may well have aged a bit since then.

However, are you saying that it's not legal to just paddle down rivers?

Tell you what, rather than me making a mess of describing the law. Take a look at:

http://www.riversaccess.org/pages/pv.asp?p=rac18&fsize=0

You'll see there what rights you have and how hard people work to make sure that we have legal access to some water to paddle on.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE