A couple of wooden gifts from a fallen branch

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Just thought I would share some gifts I carved just before Christmas for some friends.

The first is a cipín or beater for a bodhrán. It is the proper length but a little bit thick. I like that it's a bit uneven as well cause it means you can put it down and it won't roll away. It was just something simple to whittle as a bit of practise. The wood is Whitebeam I think. I also think it was a bit rotten as it was half frozen in snow when I found it. I dried it out by the radioator. Don't know if that's a good or bad idea. Its oiled with red palm fruit oil.

IMGP0204.jpg

IMGP0203.jpg

IMGP0202.jpg

This pipe is the same wood and same oil as the cipín and is held together with some nettle cordage from a while back. I tried to bow drill the bowl but had no succes and ended up just carving it with my knife. It's actually nice and tight. You can't even see the split. I didn't oil the inside of the bowl. I don't know why.

IMGP0014.jpg

IMGP0009.jpg

IMGP0008.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

IMGP0007.jpg

I hope to make a lot more stuff out of the rest of that wood. I have quite a lot of it stacked up in the corner waiting on me to get some more tools.

Still got to finish my spoon too.

Cheers for looking

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
good work Mark, i like that pipe, keep up the good work and show us some more pics when you get your tools sorted...........

regards.

chris..............

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Nice work Mark,...

i love the pipe too,....

maybe you could have a go at making some trousers ;)

Stu

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Will you use your pipe,maybe test it once, or do you keep it as shown ?

I gave the pipe to a friend as a Christmas gift. It was unused until then. Has good suction though, with no leaks, and I think the channel is small enough to prevent any baccy from escaping. I've had no complaints so far anyway.

maybe you could have a go at making some trousers

Hahaha. I'll never be allowed to forget them will I.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE