A couple of questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
OK, I'm acquiring some kit (slowly because a recent crash has meant that we've had to acquire a new car earlier than expected) and I'm wondering about a few things:

When a rucksack's capacity is quoted in litres, is that the volume of water it would hold (provided it didn't all dribble out :lol: )?

Ex-army bergens are cheap and robust and big, but would I want a long-back or a short back one, or does that depend on my size? Also if I wanted to cycle while carrying kit (don't laugh!) would the short back be the only sensible option?

Now I've got my bivvi bag I'm looking for a sleeping bag - got to be cheap, so does anyone know the relative merits of the '58 pattern army rucksack and the more recent ones? Anything else I should be looking at in the £30 or so range?

Thanks chaps!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
boaty said:
When a rucksack's capacity is quoted in litres, is that the volume of water it would hold (provided it didn't all dribble out :lol: )?

Yes ... basically tho, you'll never get that much kit into it because it will never pack as well as water would! :-D

Ex-army bergens are cheap and robust and big, but would I want a long-back or a short back one, or does that depend on my size? Also if I wanted to cycle while carrying kit (don't laugh!) would the short back be the only sensible option?

Depends on how tall you are ... I think that there are three sizes (there was in the Vulcan I've got). Dunno about cycling, :?: would't like to try that with my massive pack!!!! :shock:

Now I've got my bivvi bag I'm looking for a sleeping bag - got to be cheap, so does anyone know the relative merits of the '58 pattern army rucksack and the more recent ones? Anything else I should be looking at in the £30 or so range?

I've slept in them all over the years and they're darn good. I like the new ones but they are all good ... however, examine it for hols ad stuff before you buy.

JohnB

Nov 26, 2003
Lancs. / West Yorks.
If you have a fair amount of weight in a rucksack it is both difficult and uncomfortable to cycle whilst carrying it on your back. A far better idea is to strap the rucksack to the cycle in some way, preferably to a rear rack; even then the weight is higher than ideal!

On the length you can get Bergans in varing sizes for different size peeps

BUT be carfull the Army issue Short back is a differnt thing
THis is designed to sit above a webbing belt and the kit it has this means that when worn with out the belt ordr kit it doesnt carry any of the weight on your hips and its all on your shoulders the waist strap just keeps the lower part close in i find this puts massive strain on my shoulders and lower back with any resonable weight in

Vulcans ( one of the best ever made :lol: ) is a full lenght back and was avalible in 3 sizes this has a full padded hip belt and is very comfy
Had mine for over 10 yrs now and its had a good kicking and still ticking only problem is its massive and you can easilly over load it which it laughs at but you wont

I wouldnt want to cycle with a pack of any real size on as it would be very un balanced better to strap the kit on the bike and keep the C of G low

I find the 58 issue Sleeping bag supurb and more than a match for any thing english weather can do they are cheap and very rugged.
you wouldnt chuck your Softie down on a pile of branches and Ferns etc
You do have to get one that does have most if not all its filling (feathers) and they are heavy and bulky if your Tall look for a long or extra long version c( im 5' 10" and use a long)
Ive often wondered about r stuffing it wit ha modern Filling and re covering the top panels with pertex or even Gortex

Personally i cant use the new issue bags as i Boil even on frosty nights but this is a personnel comfort zone thing

ATB

Duncan

EdS

Boaty,

What sort of price are you willing to pay fora sac. I'd definately consider one of Augille Alipine's sacs. however they are not cheap. I've couple for climbing/fell rescue and backpacking. They are bigger than the stated size as they are measure with water not beads as most do. However they are not cheap but are totally bombproof.

have a trip down to Basecamp in Ilkely to check them out. While there have a talk with David - owns the shop, about what you want. He spends a lot of time ski touring in the Artic etc plus he is ex Para so he know his stuff from both roughing it and sports use.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you cant really cycle with a bag bigger then 35l you just end up banging your helmet.you would be best with a pair of bags to strap onto your bike. we have bags with a 35l capacity each and if you really nned to you can the have pack on your back if your taking any more then that you can get (or make) a trailer

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
I've tried a number of packs over the years. I've ended up with the Alice pack. A lot of people don't like them for all sorts of reasons but mine just seems to fit me fine. Don't rule out an Alice pack in your search.

Bear

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The best pack is what works for you ... try out as many as you can and use comfort as the first criteria for narrowing down the field.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Brilliant advice as usual :You_Rock_

I'll go for a current issue surplus sleeping bag - seen them for as little as £30 - but as you say, I'll have to go and try the packs for myself

My bivvi bag arrived the day after the auction ended and looks (smells!) unused - it's a hell of a lot of gore-tex!

Now got to test it somewhere other than my office floor :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE